The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the club - Again! In London

TokyoRich

Hi, Long time since I have been here but nice to be back. I recently picked up an old Supra from an old friend and thought I would find out what you guys had to say..

So, I had my first Supra back in 1997, I had just started my business "Rexis" which started as an import business. In 1999 I moved to Japan where I stayed for 8 years. Most of you probably know a lot of the old importers but not many of the exporters. Some guys like Neweira were pretty plugged into the UK market but their business model was different. We were doing the B2B side and sold to the auctions and UK traders (we were their "Man in Japan" - that everyone seemed to have). Just before the music stopped and the yen got so expensive that it did not make sense anymore we were one of the big 3 exporters doing at least 500 cars a year.

Anyway, thats me. I have a soft spot for Supras and thats why I am here. I moved back to London with my family (Well with my wife then, have had a family since) in 2006 and this is where we plan to stay. I still have my Japanese auction licences but Rexis is not exporting on a regular basis anymore. More the opposite really, with the yen where it is I have been doin some bespoke cars back to Japan, this year I have done an E Class, Land Rover Defender and a DB9.. So I am still having fun. Going back for a month late summer though so will be pickign up a few cars then, let me know if anyone wants anything..

So a couple of weeks ago an old customer gave me a call and said that he was taking a 94 n/a in in p/x and asked if I was interested. So it is now parked in my drive. Not the cleanest car but it was brought over fairly late and sold first in the UK by Jemca in 2007. Bodywork is pretty clean and there is no real rot to speak of. Interior needs some work so I will be looking for some parts here. The most unusual thing is that it is totally normal and has no modifications whatsoever...

Will try to upload a photo when I figure out how to / take some.

In the mean time things I will be lookign for in the short term are:

- New auto shifter mech - a lot of play side to side, will take it apart but guess something is broken.. (yes its auto.. how depressing)

- New seats for the front and rear (rear top part only, as it is splitting but could buy the whole set if someone has it)

- passenger side grab handle

- Steering wheel, ideally standard (no air bag) or will need a boss as well..

- Some interesting alloys (used with tyres)

- Muffler

- Induction kit (cannot remember where the airflow sensor sits but I am sure you guys know anyway)

- Think I may be needing rear shocks, will check on the weekend, will get these new though.

- Someone to tint the rear windows

Guess I will be doing some eBay trawling this weekend!

I am in Wapping, London (E1W) so anyone local is great! I also go to Maidenhead a lot so that area could also work.

Edited by TokyoRich (see edit history)

Thats a good question. Will have to wait and see for now. I may try to pick up a TT in Japan later in the year as doing both the turbo(s) and the gearbox would probably be a bit excessive.. and I dont want a TT auto. It is goign to be a project but as its auto probaly best to make it either justa nice clean car or a drifter.. TBD....