The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really low idle?

tony tt

I have a bpu auto tt and it idles at 300rpm when warm is this normal for an auto it idles that low it vibrates? I have got the ICV cleaned out and its still doing it could it be the 02 sensor thats causing it? I had a tt6 before and it sat at 900rpm on idle when warm which seemed fine. Any ideas

Thanks.

Tony i had the same problem and i tried cleaning the ICV, my issue lay with a slowly dieing battery. Maybe give it a bit of juice over night and reconnect the battery to see if there is any change.

I'll try that mate but the battery is only a few months old.

My battery was also brand new, but i did not realise that there was a drain on the system somewhere and it caused the new battery to lose its held charge. Does it want to almost cut out when stopping at traffic lights?

• 2 weeks later...

Right had the car out to the meet on Sunday and it this seems to be getting worse at one point it was idling at 100rpm and nearly cutting out. When im at a stop now i need to hold the revs at 900 just so it doesnt vibrate and squeek with it being so low. I'm stumped as to what it is the icv has been cleaned and the battery is fine. Anyone else had this or know what the potential problem could be??

The TT should idle between 600-700rpm, the NA 650-750rpm.

Did it just suddenly start idling low, was anything done to the car that might have triggered the problem?

Have you checked the ECU for fault codes and checked the O2 sensor is working?

If the battery is okay, you've cleaned the ICV and tried reseting the ECU, I'd next check the plugs, check/clean the air filter, check the vacuum hoses for leaks and clean/secure the battery terminals and ground points - note if you disconnect the battery it'll need a run out before it'll idle properly.

If you need a Auto-TT ECU to test in your car then i could send you mine bud, just remember to send me my one back ;)

Thanks for that bud i'll try another icv first ive cleaned mine but you never know it could be that. I pm'd dude and he suggested try another icv so ill try that route first.

The TT should idle between 600-700rpm, the NA 650-750rpm.

Did it just suddenly start idling low, was anything done to the car that might have triggered the problem?

Have you checked the ECU for fault codes and checked the O2 sensor is working?

If the battery is okay, you've cleaned the ICV and tried reseting the ECU, I'd next check the plugs, check/clean the air filter, check the vacuum hoses for leaks and clean/secure the battery terminals and ground points - note if you disconnect the battery it'll need a run out before it'll idle properly.

Hi Nic when i bought the car it was idleing around 400rpm which i thought was normal as it's my first tt auto. (TT6 manual before) It seems to be getting gradually worse. I have bpu the car since i got it and it was serviced with new plugs (colder grade) only 1000miles ago. Done the ecu reset when i went bpu panel filter is also clean as a whistle.

How do i check the ecu for fault codes? Havent checked the 02 sensor yet either but i will get it to the local garage for a check over as ive no technical knowledge for it.

Have you checked the coil packs? Mine done the same as yours (once) and idled to low and then nearly cut out at traffic lights/stopping though, I left it overnight and its fine! Hasnt happened since...

If it was a coil pack would it not fail at wot or show up on wot? It pulls very smooth mate so im not sure it's a coil pack.

How do i check the ecu for fault codes? Havent checked the 02 sensor yet either but i will get it to the local garage for a check over as ive no technical knowledge for it.

These threads explain how to check for ECU fault codes and O2 sensor function.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35920-How-To-Check-the-diagnostics-codes&highlight=codes

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35940-Narrowband-O2-Sensor&highlight=oxygen

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Tony, did you get to the bottom of your low idle issue? Mine is the same, once wam it will idle at 3-400 rpm. It sits there quite happily, but it does seem low. Mine is a TT auto with BPU also.

Matt :)

I havent yet mate no it stalled on me the other day aswell i just dont have the time just now to get to the bottom of it.