The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Fit Shine Auto Diffuser

Westy

This was written by kiro1968 on SF and thought it would be a good reference guide for the club:

Part 1:

Here is my attempt at writing a subjective installation guideline. I know everyone who has installed one probably did it differently so this isn't the end all of instruction but just one person's installation process. Hope this will aid others who are unsure of how to install this product.

If you have an OEM exhaust you will be fine. If you have an aftermarket exhaust system that comes out at an angle like HKS Carbon-Ti, then I would recommend that you check to see if the exhaust is fitted closer to the rear bumper. If it is not and it is hanging away from the rear bumper then I would suggest you remedy that problem, because it will cause you headaches later on if you don't do this first before installing the diffuser.

I installed my Shine-Auto Project diffuser back in June 2010 so the early photos are old. There are a few things I would change/upgrade and a few things I would keep when I install my next diffuser. I'll keep it simple and basic.

*So lets get on with installation. Open your package, lay out the package to make sure you got everything. You should have the main diffuser body, a left and right side mount pieces, some nuts and bolts, a set of brackets. Check for quality on both sides.

If there is no defects on the parts then it's okay to cut the shipping box up and lay the

main body of the diffuser on the card board. Either use the box it came in or another big card board. I don't have the box it usually ships in since I picked this up from Shine directly.

*Shine provides 2 sets of bracket, front and rear, and some nuts and bolts. I only kept the rear set, the one with the long slotted hole in the bracket. For the front I made my own set and painted it and Shine's bracket flat black.

These are the nuts and bolts I decided to use. The cap nut and the washers were later painted flat black also.

*Take your low profile (if you have one, ahah) car jack and jack the rear end up. This will make room to work around. Lay some tape around the area you will be working on so you don't damage the paint. Last thing you want is have an accident as you are fitting the the side mount piece on and off. Then use some tape to hold the side mount piece to the car and stand back to see if you like where it is.

I had a small gap I had to fill in due to where I want it to be position.

I filled the gap with some fine grade fiberglass body filler and sand it down to the shape of the OEM molding so it will have a flush look when installed. I measured where the OEM screw went on the OEM molding and drilled a matching hole on the Shine side mount piece, used a longer screw of same thread and size and screwed it into the existing hole on the OEM molding. While you have the side mount off figure out how many bolts you want to use and the spacing. Mark and drill out the holes, my plan was to use 5 bolts so that's why its spaced like that with 3 bolts only. I thought I had bought enough at the time but didn't and have been busy since then to add the extra two bolts on. ^_^

I later added a bolt towards the rear of the side mount piece. I measured and drilled on the lower flange of the quarter panel and between the spot welds of the flange. I added this due to the failure of the self tap screw I used on the underside of the side mount. The self tap screw I used were short one so it didn't screw into the quarter panel, just the OEM molding. The screw after awhile couldn't hold it in place. I do have a better idea for my next diffuser install. ^_^

Part 2:

*Continuing on now, at this point it would be best if you had an extra pair of hands to help out, if you don't it is okay, all is not lost. Lower your car and let it sit on all four wheels if you haven't done so at this point. If your Supra is hellaflush/helladump like it was photochop...well I can't yeah ^_^ Take a long 2x4 or a big piece of MDF board or something similar and place it on your car jack. Carefully place the main diffuser body with the card board it's been placed on earlier onto the 2x4/MDF board on the car jack. Move the car jack with the diffuser under the car and begin jacking the main diffuser body up. Try to jack it up so that the sides of the diffuser is touching the side mounted piece, if you can't its okay. At this point you'll have to decide were you want the diffuser main body to be position at. Some like it more towards the rear, away from the rear bumper, and some like it closer to the rear bumper.

Use some tape to help hold the diffuser main body in place while you step back to verify the position you want it at. If you have other tools like clamps, you can use that also, just make sure you have something that will spread that clamping pressure. Like using a wooden paint stirring stick or similar, you'll crack the carbon if you use the metal clamps by itself.

*Now that you have the main diffuser body in the position you want. Go and measure the front of the diffuser to the sway bar bushing. Reason I did this was because the bracket Shine gave me was short and I didn't like how small it look ^_^. Once you have your measurement you can go about making your own bracket. Basically just copy the bracket that Shine supply but make it longer like in my case.

Disregard the bent bracket in the photo, that was cause from bottoming out. Also you'll notice something attach to the diffuser in this photo. It is my skid plate, I bonded a metal plate to the diffuser that I cut out. Now I'm not too worry every time I bottom out. ^_^

*Next, while you still have the diffuser in place by tape and the car jack, take the rear brackets, the other supplied bracket from Shine. Position it under the rear bumper. If you look under the rear bumper there is a strip with push in rivets. Place the rear bracket up to the OEM strip under the rear bumper and mark the side of the diffuser. This is were you will drill later on. Repeat the same process on the right side.

*Lower the diffuser and pull it out from under the car. Go and make your bracket for the front of the diffuser. Once you have made your bracket go ahead and install it. Then install the rear brackets to the underside of the rear bumper.

Now move the diffuser under the car and jack it back up. Re-position it to where you want it. Now mark the drill hole on the diffuser for the front bracket and verify the drill hole mark for the rear bracket if it is in the same position. Go ahead and lower the diffuser and pull it away from the car.

Drill the mounting holes for the front bracket and and the rear bracket. Now place the diffuser under car again, jack it up and install the nut and bolts for the front and rear brackets. Finger tighten the nut and bolts, do not over tighten because you will have to remove them.

*Once you have them loosely finger tighten mark your drill holes on the diffuser from the side mount pieces. Now remove the bolts and take the diffuser back out. Now that you have your drill holes mark, go ahead and drill them out. Now you should have all the required holes drilled out. Place the diffuser under the car again and jack it up, should be for the last time. Begin installing the bolts and finger tighten for real this time. Step back and make sure its in the position you want, make adjustment if it's not where you want it, if it is then tighten all the bolts down.

In this photo is a comparison between the supplied bolts Shine supplied and the one I used. They would probably be okay if I had the extra side vortex generator, but since I don't have them the bolts were to long. I replace all the supplied bolts, washer, nuts with my own bolts, washers, and nut. Refer to Part 1 of the installation guide I wrote.

*So there you have it in a nut shell on how to install a Shine-Auto Project TS Style Replica Diffuser.

Part 3: Vortex Generator

*Alright, for those that have the Center Vortex Generator, it is very easy to install. You'll have to install this before you install the diffuser. It is easier to install the Center Vortex Generator on the diffuser while it is off the car. So what do you do, flip the main diffuser body around, so the carbon fiber is facing you. Now position the the diffuser so that the rear of the diffuser is facing you.

Place center vortex generator on top of the main diffuser body. Align it so that the center vortex generator is in the center of the main diffuser body. Take one of those spring loaded clamps with rubberize tip and clamp the center vortex generator to the main diffuser body in the rear and in the front. Now go to the front of the diffuser and see that it is centered. The center vortex generator has a tab that matches to the tab on the main diffuser body. Make your adjustment if need be. Now drill one hole in the tab in the front of the center vortex generator. Drill two holes in the rear of the center vortex generator. If you remove the center vortex generator, the diffuser should have matching holes with the center vortex generator.

Install your nuts and bolts and your done.

This is a photo of a center vortex generator that is on a buddy's car. You can see the two bolts that is holding it to the main diffuser body. Unfortunately for him at the time of this photo was taken he was missing the bolt in the front of the center vortex generator, that's why it look misaligned. I fixed that problem after I fixed his diffuser few months later from when the photo was taken.

*Here is a picture I took last year at a Supra meet, best example of where to install the side vortex generator. If you can't figure it out from this picture then the world is doom.

• 5 months later...

Get ready to fit these peeps, I have spats and mine took 14.5 hours to fit with 2 of us.

After living and breathing these for abit I can confirm if you fit it right it looks mint, fit it wrong and you will spoil the car.

- - - Updated - - -

The side mounts don't fit with spats or wide arch kits with spats.

I don't have the side mounts on mine. Metal brackets hold it instead.

The side mounds do fit with spats, mine has them

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread. Has anyone fitted one with a Nurspec R before without cutting it to buggery?

Im re-fitting mine to my new car, and when I had it on my old one I had to have a spacer fitted, to make it hang low enough to clear the back box (was a rather crude way to get it to fit). Im getting some new brackets made this time round, but concerned it wont be do-able without cutting it or having it hanging stupidly low.

I fitted one to my car same problem your having with the back box I have the HKS Ti 4"

Fearful of making a complete hash of the difuser cutting it I made some brackets up drove it just 3 miles and it scraped the road.

I got it home driving extra slow to remove it and sell it.

I think it spoiled the look of my car possibly because I didn't fit it to well. :search:

• 11 months later...
Thought I would bump this thread. Has anyone fitted one with a Nurspec R before without cutting it to buggery?

Im re-fitting mine to my new car, and when I had it on my old one I had to have a spacer fitted, to make it hang low enough to clear the back box (was a rather crude way to get it to fit). Im getting some new brackets made this time round, but concerned it wont be do-able without cutting it or having it hanging stupidly low.

mine has the nur-spec and shine defuser, perhaps some of the pics you took at jap show, show it?

It's pushed against it but it doesent burn or rattle too much, however i dont have the original brackets as i have the spats!

mine has the nur-spec and shine defuser, perhaps some of the pics you took at jap show, show it?

It's pushed against it but it doesent burn or rattle too much, however i dont have the original brackets as i have the spats!

Cheers mate I sorted it a while back. I had to use a spacer on the exhaust side. But it did the job

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...