The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on this please

ubersonic

What's the general consensus on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-3-0-Twin-Turbo-UK-CAR-Automatic-mkiv-/280845915461?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4163b89545#ht_1058wt_1308

I was pretty tempted by it when it was £5.5 so now its a few pennys under £5k im more tempted. It basically ticks all the boxes for the car I want (Auto, UKDM, black, cream interior, that rear sun deflector). But its done 180,000 miles which doesn't really bother me about the 2JZ that much as the 1UZ in my LS400 has done ~280,000 miles, however the turbos and everything else on this has also done 180k, it also has some rust on the tailgate. Oh and it appears to be BPU so wasn't driven by one female owner on Sundays.

Advice please, thank you.

I'd want to go through the history and see exactly what the cars had done to it regarding parts

that have been replaced and its service record.

The tailgate is fixable for approx £200 or get one thats not got any rot on it.

A lot of car for the money but it could also be a lot of hassle for the money too.

As Dunk says, I would have a long hard look at it before making a decision. How much would a mint UK auto be worth with say 100K miles on it?

This could be a false economy for me.

H.

This could be a false economy for me.

Personally i think you have hit the nail on the head there. Personally I wouldn't buy it as it is a bit of a risk, unless it has been maintained though out its life to a high standard.

IMO you would be better off paying an extra couple of thousand and get a nicer example with lower mileage.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I'm going to go against the others ehere and say that at £4500 (you will easily chip them down to that) and a FSH (providing that checks out), it is well worth a look.

The rust on the tailgate? Most of the older models now have this and it would not unduly worry me. High miles for sure but I have seen low mileage cars with no history end up being dogs.

I would defininitely go see it and preferably with someone who knows what they are looking for.

Personally i think you have hit the nail on the head there. Personally I wouldn't buy it as it is a bit of a risk, unless it has been maintained though out its life to a high standard.

Surely every second hand car purchase is the same?

I think it's worth having a good dig through the history and getting a proper inspection done on it at this price if it's the exact model you're after, then you'll know if anything needs doing. If it needs loads of work the extra 3k needed to get a decent lower mileage UK spec might seem worthwhile.

Problem is they're all of an age where you need to be realistic about maintenance costs to keep them in good order, I allow 2-3k per year (don't tell the Mrs!) for upkeep of my UK spec and it has half the miles of this one, on the upside the insurance is dirt cheap compared to an import.

Full Service History

:thumbs:

Yes this obviously lowers the risk of getting a dog. I should have read the whole advert as I saw what car it was and remembered the previous add for it and posted from memory.

The car is certainly worth a look, and going over it very carefully. The mileage would still put me off personally, but if it has be maintained and depending what work has been done in the history it could be a good buy.