The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What torque wrench to get?

stevie_b

I'm in the market for a decent torque wrench for the occasional DIYer. I was looking at the Halfords Professional range (they get good reviews): I'm considering the 60-300NM or the 40-200NM. I can't think what would need more than 200NM of torque, so do you think the 40-200NM would suffice? As a start, I'd like it to handle wheel nuts (103NM on the supra) and odd jobs like the oil sump nut (?? NM), which I'm always worried about over-tightening.

Any thoughts, or other recommendations? The Halfords range is about the top end of what I'd like to spend, so although Snap-On etc stuff is nice I couldn't justify the extra expense.

I bought a teng tools 15-190 (i think) lbs torque wrench as it could do the smallest thing I needed (cam caps I believe where like 14 or 15ft/lbs) and the biggest thing that was the head bolts at 175lbs. Has been quite good and repeatable and certainly feels very well made. I have a 3/8th" socket set by teng and a few other things and have always liked them, hence I will keep buying their stuff.

I bought a teng tools 15-190 (i think) lbs torque wrench as it could do the smallest thing I needed (cam caps I believe where like 14 or 15ft/lbs) and the biggest thing that was the head bolts at 175lbs. Has been quite good and repeatable and certainly feels very well made. I have a 3/8th" socket set by teng and a few other things and have always liked them, hence I will keep buying their stuff.

Plus 1 for the teng tools have lots of there stuff including the torque wrenches they are a good price aswell

Don't get a Halfords one!

Work paid for me to get one so I bought one from Halfords, took it back to work and used our UCAS approved torque tester to check it was within calibration.

It was way out. I checked the "calibration certificate" that came with it and their readings were way out from the readings I got. I asked another lad who had brought one to check his an his pulled way out of calibration throughout the range. It was then I noticed that the calibration certificate for his wrench was IDENTICAL! I reported this to UKAS and Halfords customer service who denied all knowledge

Unless you are going to be doing suspension bolts and other large non-yield tightened fasteners every day I would get a low range one for doing stuff up to about 50Nm and then if you find you really need it get a second one for doing the bigger stuff. I can't see how a wrench can be accurate throughout such a big range.

If you want to do head bolts. big ends and main bearings properly you will need one with an angle gauge.

Don't get a Halfords one!

Work paid for me to get one so I bought one from Halfords, took it back to work and used our UCAS approved torque tester to check it was within calibration.

It was way out. I checked the "calibration certificate" that came with it and their readings were way out from the readings I got. I asked another lad who had brought one to check his an his pulled way out of calibration throughout the range. It was then I noticed that the calibration certificate for his wrench was IDENTICAL! I reported this to UKAS and Halfords customer service who denied all knowledge

I got the 8 - 60nm one and the 50 - 200nm one from halfords, and a snap on 80 - 350nm one. All have been calibrated by the guys that come round, the only one I've ever had a problem with was the Snap On one, which I made the dealer replace. Didn't want it fixed, it wasn't right, I wanted a new one. Had that calibrated and all is good at the mo!

I bought 2 of the Halfords pro ones. I would recommend getting both of them as there are a LOT of 20lbs nuts & bolts as well as the tighter suspension bolts, wheel nuts etc.

I know it seems like a hit in the pocket but they are fantastic items to have in the toolbox for all manor of jobs. I also checked mine in work and mine were pretty good as far as calibration goes.

I bought a cheapy Laser one today!! Up to 210NM, and i gotta say, its really good!!!! Only £30.00 new. Does what i need it to do!

Cheap dross, absolutely useless other than letting you think you are actually checking anything properly. You would be as well with someone standing behind you with a clicker guessing when the bolt is tight enough.

Cheap dross, absolutely useless other than letting you think you are actually checking anything properly. You would be as well with someone standing behind you with a clicker guessing when the bolt is tight enough.

Is that not how you do it?? Now I know why I keep snapping head bolts... lol

Well, its easy to use, tightens up my wheel nuts and calibration seems ok too! This is pretty much all i use it for, so why would i wanna spend more?

Well, it has a test sheet included, and though not perfect it wasnt that far out!

Test sheets aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you intend on using it for properly torquing things up I would suggest getting it properly calibrated, otherwise it's just a gimmick.

Test sheets aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you intend on using it for properly torquing things up I would suggest getting it properly calibrated, otherwise it's just a gimmick.

Well, once i start getting into that, i'll splash out on a proper unit! As for now, am just using it as part of my wheel change kit in the boot of my car! Seems ok for that so far!! (-;