The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A couple of pics from my NA-T build

al02uk

Hi All,

Thought I'd share a couple of pics from my NA-T build.

It was a spare engine (purchased from a member on here), I took it apart and everything looked fine inside.

I found a company selling 500cc high imp injectors for quite a reasonable price, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Oil pump and water pump are new, the headgasket was replaced with a TT headgasket. The valve stem seals were changed on the cylinder head and the valves reground again, just to be safe.

Its been a learing curve, I've enjoyed doing it myself and have learned quite alot about the engine.

Hope you like it.

Andy

Engine is looking great, love the blue/black detail

Thanks mate, it was actually your engine that persuaded me to use those colours. Its not Subaru blue though, its a Citroen blue.

There are some top quality guides and info on this site, helped make everything 100% easier to do.

Any more photos of the build pal? How much did it cost you to do this all? This was my plan with the spare engine idea. PM me if you'd rather not broadcast costs and stuff=)

Unfortunately these are the first pics I have taken. I really should have documented it as a project :(

I don't mind posting prices.

Most of the 'AN' fittings and the braided hoses (per 1m) = £5-£10ea

FPR plus other fittings in box = £45

Blue rocker bolts = £20

ARP bolts = £156

TT headgasket = £140

Paint = £5-£7 per tin

Thermostat = £10

Sealant/threadlock etc = £10-£20ea

Oil pump = £120

Full gasket kit = £80

Oil cooler sandwich plate = £20

Water pump = £100

Injectors = £140

Timing belt kit = £60

Engine (complete, minus PAS pump) = £100

Complete cylinder head (to copy from) = £15!!!!

That pretty much what I have bought so far, minus a few other bits and bobs

Edited by al02uk (see edit history)

I was tempted to drop TT pistons in, but I only want to go to 400bhp at the most, plus I'm not 100% confident with rebuilding the bottom end.

I'll probably use a T61 or T70 turbo, as for the engine management, I'm really unsure. I keep looking on Club NA-T and try to convince myself that a SAFC II would do the job, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to go OTT on high price bits, If the engine pops I won't be too fussed then (engine popped on my Subaru and cost me £10k).

Will do,

I keep checking your build updates. Spotted some excellent attention to detail things (hope you dont mind me copying).

I owe m better half a steam cleaner, it was crap at cleaning the carpet but was fantastic on the engine block and cylinder head.

Thanks mate,

I'm aiming for 400bhp max. I'm going to do that 'shim' mod to the auto box when it comes out, but I doubt it will help much. I'll also fit a transmission cooler to help it a bit.

If the car runs ok at 350-400, I'll have a look at other gearbox options before it gives up. I would like it to stay automatic though.

Thanks mate,

I'm aiming for 400bhp max. I'm going to do that 'shim' mod to the auto box when it comes out, but I doubt it will help much. I'll also fit a transmission cooler to help it a bit.

If the car runs ok at 350-400, I'll have a look at other gearbox options before it gives up. I would like it to stay automatic though.

I think you will find you will probs hit more power than that unless you run low boost, most NA-T's running stock compression and a low boost of 7psi normally hit 375fbhp and 9-10psi will see 400bhp so with you using the TT head gasket I would of thought you could hit around 450-460bhp and still be safe! ;)

Sounds good.

My other half is a bit nervous as she drives the car more than I do. She thinks its too powerful now (bless her).

I told her not to worry, it will only take the car from about 200 to 250bhp and she wouldn't really see a difference.

No turning back once the engine is in :)

Done a few more bits today.

Fitted cam pulleys and new timing belt. Fitted the engine wiring loom and the upper intake manifold.

I drilled out the butterfly valve in the intake manifold, as I'm guessing it could be a restriction under boost. I also fitted the FPR and one of the fuel lines.

A couple of pics below.

Thanks for asking buddy not too bar. Slightly Over fueling mate. Need's a remap I think. Left an evo the other so trust me when you get your lump running you will be loving it!

Assuming your lowering compression I take it your aiming for good figures? I wanted 550's to begin with, but some 440's came up and grabbed them. Did you modify the rail for the adapters they look like larger ones? I've been wondering about removing the butterfly valve, but I'd like a FFIM so think it may be time wasted. My throttle body is a right pain keep locking the bolts and anonys the hell out of me changing plugs or playing removing cam covers. Such a pain.

Did you powder coat the intake manifold? Looks lush mate, so refreshing.

Thanks for asking buddy not too bar. Slightly Over fueling mate. Need's a remap I think. Left an evo the other so trust me when you get your lump running you will be loving it!

Assuming your lowering compression I take it your aiming for good figures? I wanted 550's to begin with, but some 440's came up and grabbed them. Did you modify the rail for the adapters they look like larger ones? I've been wondering about removing the butterfly valve, but I'd like a FFIM so think it may be time wasted. My throttle body is a right pain keep locking the bolts and anonys the hell out of me changing plugs or playing removing cam covers. Such a pain.

Did you powder coat the intake manifold? Looks lush mate, so refreshing.

I'm not too fussed about the power tbh mate, 400bhp would do me fine. I bought the injectors because they were high impedance, I didn't really fancy messing about with the wiring.

The fuel rail is standard, the FPR adaptor was about £15 from ebay and the other fitting is an M12 to 6an fitting. It will also bypass that fuel damper thing.

The manifold was painted by myself, I used 2x coats of acid etch primer, 2x coats of blue and 3x coats of clear.

I think I would have to agree an the throttle body aswell, I can't fit mine properly yet as I will need the ht leads from the old engine (they have only done about 1500 miles).

So anonying mate it ruins my life for a good 2 hours changing plugs. Ive reduced the gap as I think im over fueling so a quick gap reduction takes ages.

You got any more information on the engine spec you have/aiming for.

Im surprising your only aiming for 400bhp with a lowered compression and large injectors. With a good tune you could easy see nearly 500 if your ignition permits.

Its really because of the gearbox mate. Apparently the auto is only good for 400bhp if you do that 'shim' modification. Not sure how true that is though.

the internals are standard, gaskets and seals have been replaced. Oil pump and water pump are new. The injectors are Mitsubishi (iirc) 500cc.

TT headgasket and ARP bolts.

I spotted that JamieP runs his cam cover breather pipes to vent near the rear diff, so I think I'll do the same and not buy a catch can.

havent bought the turbo yet, but it will probably be a t61 or t70.

I probably over did it considering the power I'm after, but I guess if it runs a lower boost to get to 400bhp, then it should be less stress on the engine.

Tbh, I'm just making it up as I go along. I love messing around with cars and thought that this would be a great way of learning about the 2JZ engine and the Supra.