The mkiv Supra Owners Club

behind dash fire

barneybrendan

Right effed off today.I was checking everything for mot,switched the fog light switch on and walked around the back of the car.Luckily my daughter was watching and shouted theres smoke,i looked around to see smoke bellowing out from the dash.I switched the fog light switch off and grabbed the fire extinguisher from my van.Sort of lucky as it went out and didnt need to extinguish anything.I have now removed as much of the dash area as i can to reveal some burnt wires.It seems as if the fog light switch has been wired into the dash dimmer switch and when turned on turns on one reversing light,which is still a white buld.I also noticed some dodgy wirring and extra fuses that the previous owner had fitted for some led lights.The led switch was also branched into the dimmer switch and fog light switch.None of the spade connectors were a very tight fit.

Two wires have lost their plastic caseing now ,one of them goes up behind the dash where i cant actually get to ,and the other end goes to the large white connector.Do i need to completely trace the wires to the end of the damage.

ive found the end of the problem wires now.luckily enough the dash can stay in place.the wires which actually burnt out were the green and orange and the black and white wires which are tapped into for the dash dimmer switch.They burnt away until they reached the area wher the tap was,thinking that maybe because this ares is solderd and thicker that is why it stopped.The other end stopped at the connector block and didnt pass onto the other side of the block.So it looks as if i only need to replace these two wires.

It is all pointing to bad wirring that had come loose and shorted out.the 2 switches were very close together and the wires were a bit too short so must of been slowly pulling loose.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)