The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What does mapping do to your car?

Chris Bailey

How much is a decent ecu? I know them syvecs ecu or whatever they are called are one of the best but the like £1000+ which is money my dad cant afford to spend and we are only keeping it bpu so dont need one like that.

You don't need to bother for BPU.

The OP's question is a fair one IMO. A lot of people talk about mapping on here but very few describe what it is. It would be a difficult question to search for on here because the phrase is used so much, but almost always with little/no explanation. :)

I know very little about it, but here goes: an ECU contains information about how to manage the engine (how much fuel to inject into the cylinders, etc etc) for a given set of input parameters (engine revs, engine temperature, possibly things like boost pressure). In short, it contains a map of engine management vs inputs. The range of inputs in a standard map doesn't go from "0 to infinity": they only cover a small-ish finite range that covers all the likely input values. The map provided by Toyota is fine as long as the inputs aren't going to fall outside that range. When they do fall outside the range (i.e. as a result of major performance modifications) then the ECU needs to be re-mapped in order to cope with the new range(s). Toyot'a stock ECU can't be re-programmed to hold a different map, so a different ECU is needed if a car is to be re-mapped.

This is a noddy explanation which leaves many holes and it might be incorrect in some details, but hopefully it'll give the OP a foothold on what we all mean by a re-map.

Thanks for the info stevie_b its much appreciated :) - I just wanted to know what it is and if its worth doing, I think i see them do it on wheeler dealers on a subaru sti and it added an extra 30bhp and told the ecu to make better use of the british fuel. I think that was a re-map that they done anyways lol.

It was, but Toyota ECUs can't be chipped or flashed like Nissans or Subarus. As above, mapping just optimises the engines parameters, more accurate timing, fuelling etc.

Best bet would be to keep an eye out for a reworked stock ECU, like a Blitz Access, Mines, TOMS etc which all have similar perks like upped boost, speed delimiter, increased rev limit

Maybe i heard wrong then, I dont know alot about the ecu im just telling you from what ive heard from other people. My dad has a HKS FCD fitted to the supra so doesnt that remove the limiter?

I would imagine so (Someone intelligent will be along shortly) the thing I like about the mines is that it deals with them problems as well as having advanced fueling and ignition maps and seeing as they are a plug and play it saves all the agro of getting a piggyback and mapping ect. If |I had a bpu TT I would gladly get a mines in an instant.

My dad brought our supra thinking it had a mines ecu fitted to it - but then we later found out that the previous owner sold the mines ecu a couple of weeks before we brought it but still left the advert with the mines ecu listed on it.

Haven't we been through all this in an earlier thread?