The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo timers - what is the point?

CJ

Ok, so I can see the reasoning behind the statement on most of the boxes - activating the turbo timer allows the engine to circulate the Oil and Coolant through the Block and Turbo System and prevents premature damage - but surely the same is being achieved if you run the car near to home on low revs and off boost? I mean, how many of us thrash the car then park up immediately?

So, is this just another item devised by the bigger companies to have us part with our coins or am I missing something here?

Think you are spot on CJ. Plenty of similar pointless products on the market - earth wiring kits is another example followed by oil catch tanks.

What about those silly led tyre valves.

Good point.

Can someone explain to me what is the benefit of an oil catch can?

Ok, so I can see the reasoning behind the statement on most of the boxes - activating the turbo timer allows the engine to circulate the Oil and Coolant through the Block and Turbo System and prevents premature damage - but surely the same is being achieved if you run the car near to home on low revs and off boost? I mean, how many of us thrash the car then park up immediately?

So, is this just another item devised by the bigger companies to have us part with our coins or am I missing something here?

Spot on CJ, I just drive carefully for the last 5 miles or so to let everything cool down. I thought the big thing was to let the turbos spool down?

Good point.

Good for hiding oil leaks, other than that they shouldn't be required.

Spot on CJ, I just drive carefully for the last 5 miles or so to let everything cool down. I thought the big thing was to let the turbos spool down?

5 miles? 500 yards would cover it lol.

you take the keys with you tho dont you, and so you cannot drive off in a car with a turbo timer running mate. i know ive tryed it, it cuts out, both my supras ive had with them fitted have done this

well, if you use them as intended... you end up leaving the car with the engine running without you been sat in the car, so should it get stolen... well, this is what I was told a few years back ;)

you take the keys with you tho dont you, and so you cannot drive off in a car with a turbo timer running mate. i know ive tryed it, it cuts out in both my supras ive had with them fitted

when I had the HKS one on my supra, with the HKS loom, I could take the keys out an the engine would keep running until it timed out.

yes youre right, only use they have is if for some reason your turbos are flatout and you need to stop and make a sharp exit. but yes, like i said i dont use mine, but i find alot of cars that come out of japan have them fitted anyway

@supraGZaerotop - But do you consider them to be of any use? I really cannot see the point other than to line the pockets of companies like Blitz etc

yes but you wouldint have been able to drive off in it, my first TT had a hks timer fitted, and my current TT has a hks and it wont let me drive off

when I had the HKS one on my supra, with the HKS loom, I could take the keys out an the engine would keep running until it timed out.
Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

Out of interest if you were thrashing the car and had an accident which caused quite bad damage the car would probably stall but with a turbo timer would it they and keep the engine running and say the fuel pump flowing? Can just see that as being a bit dangerous!

Oh, and yes I also think they are stupid!

Good point.

I take you mean breather catch can? On a healthy engine they do nothing, on a tierd engine they catch oil vapour.

I dont like catch cans myself, the breather stinks and with the car window open my whifbitz catch can use to stink the car out when driving, I now vent the pipes under the car and they exit near the diff.

not sure, i only know my timer cuts in if 1 its even swithed on, 2 if i switch the ignition off via key. as to stalling the car, i carnt test that ive got an auto

Out of interest if you were thrashing the car and had an accident which caused quite bad damage the car would probably stall but with a turbo timer would it they and keep the engine running and say the fuel pump flowing? Can just see that as being a bit dangerous!

Oh, and yes I also think they are stupid!

not sure, i only know my timer cuts in if 1 its even swithed on, 2 if i switch the ignition off via key. as to stalling the car, i carnt test that ive got an auto

My friend, can I make a suggestion?

If you are going to use a quote and then reply to it, for us to read it properly it would be much easier if the quote was above your answer and not below it. :)

I take you mean breather catch can? On a healthy engine they do nothing, on a tierd engine they catch oil vapour.

I dont like catch cans myself, the breather stinks and with the car window open my whifbitz catch can use to stink the car out when driving, I now vent the pipes under the car and they exit near the diff.

So, if you didn't have one on a tired engine, what are the implications?

So, if you didn't have one on a tired engine, what are the implications?

Oil vapour sprays out of the breather, I see some single setups with the little filters on the cam cover, Thats how gamers soarer caught fire iirc, oil spat out the filter onto the turbo.

Oil vapour sprays out of the breather, I see some single setups with the little filters on the cam cover, Thats how gamers soarer caught fire iirc, oil spat out the filter onto the turbo.

I didn't know that re. Gamers. I thought he had had an accident. Must have been when I was "in season" out on Kos :)