The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na decat noise question

Graham1984

Has any of the people who have a double decat Na.Bothered to put the 2nd cat back in to keep the noise down a bit and if so does it help much. My car is retardedly loud and most likely is rubbing the neighbours up the wrong way but due to not being able to work for ages I don't have the funds to buy the whifbitzs twin box exhaust yet? If it is worthwhile doing let me know as I would much rather buy a couple of gaskets and switch it over for the time being.

my neighbours have never said anything to me about my twinturbo decats and mine is stupidly loud

are you sure its annoying them? it not like your blasting music untill stupid hours or revving it like a loon

unless its just to make it quieter for youself

From experience, there's a huge difference in noise between a decatted NA and a TT. The NA is a lot louder due to the lack of turbo's softening the sound and the sequential system closing part of the exhaust under 4k revs. When I double decatted my NA and fitted a stainless manifold it sounded like a formula 1 car. It was ridiculously loud lol! My TT on the other hand is pretty quiet even with a nur spec r fitted.

To answer the original question, yes it will make it quieter. I used to refit the 2nd cat for the MOT ;)

my neighbours have never said anything to me about my twinturbo decats and mine is stupidly loud

are you sure its annoying them? it not like your blasting music untill stupid hours or revving it like a loon

unless its just to make it quieter for youself

Believe me when I say Ash, in comparison to some cars yours will actually be considered quiet ;)

No point selling the exhaust it is a kakimoto which I cut the bung down due to it being really restrictive but without any bung at all it is retardedly loud. It looked like the baffles had been cut out before when I first removed the bung before the decat and manifold/1st decat which made it louder but an acceptable loud. I was only tempted to swap round the 2nd decat as it is a much cheaper fix than a new exhaust and plus a 2nd decat has sod all gain would be my guess anyway so it is not like I will lose 3 of the 10 horses I have left if I rip it out. Hopefully it will be quiet enout to rip out the cruddy little bit of bung left and may dull the rasp a bit.