The mkiv Supra Owners Club

very disappointed with the supra :(

Stu-R

Got my 1994 Jspec TT6 imported in January and ive had nothing but problems with it,

First the stereo worked intermittently

The lights would work intermittently

Found out this was the bodged wiring in the drivers wheel well

then the heater stopped working and it started overheating, Got the matrix and thermostat replaced. this fixed it for about a day and the heater stopped working again.

and last night drove it home which took 2.5 hours, just near my house i heard a loud bang followed by steam pouring from the back of the car, yet the temp needle didnt rise.

opened the bonnet and noticed oily water everywhere all over the inlet manifold etc :(

I love this car when it works but im having nothing but problems with it and really dont know where to go from here?

id happily pay to have a fresh engine built but im thinking is it really worth it? should i just break it and cut my losses?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this. It's rare but there are some abused and/or badly modified examples out there that can cause more trouble than they are worth. Did you check it over properly with the guide on here before handing over the cash for it? Maybe use it as a post-event check to see how good/bad the car condition really is, then make an assessment of what to do next. It may just be damaged electrics causing your woes. Fingers crossed.

Can't you go back to the supplier/importer? Reputable trading companies will want to help rectify the issues.

Obviously, I'm presuming you didnt view it before buying as it was imported. However, surely there must be something you can do along the lines of "vehicle not as advertised"????? Or speak to the import company and see what they say (obviously don't know who imported it.....Dont mean to step on anyone or anything). If you import a car, you would have though it would get a UK service etc when it gets UK registered? I dont know much about this though. Maybe ask Jurgen if there are any ways you can go about sorting this out with the company who imported it for you.

Bought it in october it arrived in january, the initial problems with the wiring and overheating got sorted and paid for by the import company but after last night it has really pissed me off, im going to have a closer look today when its daylight but i think the headgasket may be gone.

Bought it in october it arrived in january, the initial problems with the wiring and overheating got sorted and paid for by the import company but after last night it has really pissed me off, im going to have a closer look today when its daylight but i think the headgasket may be gone.

I'd be on the phone to the importer to be honest and see what they say, you've had

it less than 3 months so you'd like to think they will be putting it right

Get back on the phone to the company who imported it for you mate, and tell them whats going on, you might be lucky and they will take it back in for repair. But TBH i think they will tell you to do one.

If thats the case then i'd be getting it to either Jurgen(who is closest) or Lee @ SRD to sort out your car right, that way you know its been fixed well.

Im not going to go mentioning names of who imported it as at the end of the day shit does happen but was just wondering where i go from here, and guess wanted to let of a little steam as raging dosent even describe how i feel with this car right now!

hi stuart,

first you should email me or call me..(like last time i sorted your issues you had).

also we did not sell the car for 15k mate you got the car for £11250 and we gave you discount too...

you have now modifed the car more and and done extra work on the car.... and even been on dyno and got a healthy read out.

its very easy to come on here and just blame us..

you have a very nice car and made emails to say this..

we also said originally we like you to bring car back to us for first problems, but on this occasion we agreed to pay other garage.

but now you have been to crail drag racing and also moding it..

once you start to tinker with it then anything can wrong..

headgasket simple just dont blow on supras..

could you of overboosted?? maybe popped a water pipe off..

its no good just blaming it on us..

its very easy just to blame the traders.

you need to see whats actually gone wrong and check the work of the garage who done your matrix and take it from there.

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

hi stuart,

first you should email me or call me..(like last time i sorted your issues you had).

also we did not sell the car for 15k mate you got the car for £11250 and we gave you discount too...

you have now modifed the car more and and done extra work on the car.... and even been on dyno and got a healthy read out.

its very easy to come on here and just blame us..

you have a very nice car and made emails to say this..

we also said originally we like you to bring car back to us for first problems, but on this occasion we agreed to pay other garage.

but now you have been to crail drag racing and also moding it..

once you start to tinker with it then anything can wrong..

headgasket simple just dont blow on supras..

could you of overboosted?? maybe popped a water pipe off..

its no good just blaming it on us..

I think thats fair enough, 2 sides to every story, if it needed a matrix which it may or may not have done and they have changed the stat, who is to say they did not leave iot with an airlock which it would appear they did. Like Jurgen says, when you start tinkering you move the goal posts a great deal.

Jurgen i did not blame you or mention your name i was putting any blame on you i was just stating i was very unhappy with the supra in general, and i did say that you helped me out by sorting the initial problems i had with the car.

I was asked how much the car owed me, i paid 11475 plus the brand new titianium exhaust carbon diffuser the parts to bring it up to full bpu and the labour involved in getting it fixed. so yess the car does owe me close to 15k.

I didnt want to get you involved in this hence why i didnt mention your name or put any blame on you

am here to help mate, but you need to see whats caused the water pipe to pop off,.

something in the cooling system has gave way.

please look at car and then we can advise you might be lucky and it will need a flush and new water put in. (2jz are very strong engines)..

ask the garage who fitted the matrix and thermostat.. it might be simple overisight or loose jubilee on their part.

keep me posted via email mate..

If another garage had fitted the matrix and stat, then later that day/next and you get cold air defo sounds like an airlock in the system hense why the pipe may have come off due to the pressure in the system. so maybe the garage who fitted the matrix/stat never blead the system properly? airlocks in the supras can be a proper pain to get rid of...and if on boost etc, it will make it happen faster...unfortunately the supra temp gauge is not the best in the world for letting you know if there is a problem.....