The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bizzar Clutch Issue, Any Ideas?

a98pmalcolm

Hay all.

Ok 1st off my Supra is a BPU manual. Its running 434BHP (for the past few weeks) and has been 410BHP for the past year and a bit.

I had a new clutch fitted May 2010, it was a standard Toyota clutch with a Competition Clutch flywheel.

After a year it started slipping. I could only assume that with the mods I had done throughout 2010 the old clutch could quite handle it so I had a Competition Clutch stage 4 clutch fitted (will handle to around 700BHP) This was exactly a year on May 2011.

I recently had the Syvecs ECU (car now running 434 rather than 410) and I'm getting problems again! The biting point is near where my foot lifts off the pedal so I'm getting next to no clutch control and I'm getting very little slip at times. This stage 4 clutch I have in shouldn't be having any problems so I can't see it being that.. But what else can it be?

Anyone else had issues like this or know what the solution could be?

Thanks

Paul

I have a competition stage 4 in mine and i have to admit the biting point is now quite high, i assume you can just adjust the pedal but iv just not got round to it yet. As for it slipping iv not had that problem and im running around the 500bhp mark. Clutch has been fitted for a few months now.

Ok looking at the pedal adjustment and now i've played around with different positions I can't see how this will help because as my foot just presses on the peddle the clutch is near on full engaged and from there downward (many inches) there is nothing. I can see how adjusting the peddle may help if its biting further down. I'm starting to feel pretty annoyed as I put alot of money into this clutch..

You know what this isn't even a year old its 10 months on a BPU Supra!! This should be warranty!

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Ok looking at the pedal adjustment and now i've played around with different positions I can't see how this will help because as my foot just presses on the peddle the clutch is near on full engaged and from there downward (many inches) there is nothing. I can see how adjusting the peddle may help if its biting further down. I'm starting to feel pretty annoyed as I put alot of money into this clutch..

You want to screw the rod out of the master cylinder so that it starts off moving the clutch release later. The further the rod is out of the master cylinder to begin with, the more you will need to push it in to get it release (hence it moving the biting point down).

It definitely sounds like it has worn quite a bit though.

Scott I bought it back as much as It could.. Still no better - thanks anyway

Could be that Si.. It is a stiff clutch and in the thread about adjusting the peddle TRD3000GT said the same symptoms I'm betting so he's replacing the master cylinder. How much did that cost you Simon? BTW did you get my payment ok today mate?

Thanks

Scott I bought it back as much as It could.. Still no better - thanks anyway

Could be that Si.. It is a stiff clutch and in the thread about adjusting the peddle TRD3000GT said the same symptoms I'm betting so he's replacing the master cylinder. How much did that cost you Simon? BTW did you get my payment ok today mate?

Thanks

think it was around £90 ish...