The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my single project gt4288

richarde7927

Well my standard twin turbo set up finally blow so I have taken the car off the road for the winter, I started the ball rolling by buying a garrett gt4288. I brought it about 2 weeks before xmas .

Manifold turned up the middle of jan from the states .

I test fitted the manifold and the turbo ,

Rich.

Next up i got all the intercooler pipes made up and i just need to get the first 90 degree bend welded to the turbo housing , and i had to get the ends of the other ali pipes re-flared to stop them poping off .

I also got the induction stuff sorted a 4" silcon 90 degree bent , 4" ali straight pipe and a 4" pipercross filter to finish .

Plus my strut brace still fits which was a massive plus point .

My mate has taken the turbo exhaust housing and manifold to knife edge the twin scroll and port match everything .

I have ordered the oil return line i need to get the feed line made and then order my downpipe and midpipe in 4" , plus make a good brace for the manifold to help take the weight but is this be next week now . oh and i need a wastegate and screamer pipe.

Rich.

I have go some jobs out of the way this week , But my to do list is just getting longer im hoping to be at the bottom of that list by the end of next week and ever thing out for welding and paint .

I start off by removing the top rad hose pipe and removing the 2 water feeds for the old turbo set up this is now being welded up .

Then a sanded off the vband off the turbo compressor side and im having a 90 degree ali pipe welded to it . i also removed and the ruff casting edges.

Then a drill and tapped the turbo hose for the waste gate pressure hose .

I port matched the manifold and turbo flanges .

Then i got the oil return line fittings and the return line made up .

Some pictures of the turbo it give you some idea of the size of it and there are some pictures with it along side of the old turbos.

Rich.

The coolant pipe came back from having the turbo water feeds welded up , once i had it back i gave it a good polish.

I also got the turbo housing back after getting a 90 pipe welded to it , and i got my brother to paint it

My new 4" down pipe and mid pipe have turned up to this is a photo of them with the old down pipe.

Rich.

I did a little on the car today. I removed the plugs and gave them a good clean as i was running on 2 cylinders .

i offered the 4" down pipe up for a look to see how it fitted

Then i made myself a nice intercooler pipe rib making tool as the proper ones are £85 this cost me a pair of cheap mole grips and a exhaust clamp and a washer .

Then i pop it all together yet another time to see how the new painted turbo lookedin place .

Rich.

Well i had my first go at stainless welding , welding the 4" v-band on to the mid section to join to my old cat back system .

I cut of the wastegate flange that came on the manifold as i could not get a wasteagte to fit it,Then i welded on the new flange and mounted the wastegate and screamer pipe.

Then i fitted the blue coolant hoses

Rich.

Im going to get a blanket for the hot side and heat wrap the down pipe. im hoping this will keep temps down abit.

Rich.

Sensible. Consider boxing off the intake from the rest of the bay, too. When you're driving there won't be an issue, but there will still be heat soak when you turn the engine off. Also, make sure that intake hose is a strong one (not the cheapo copy crap you can get that isn't up to the job), so it doesn't try to collapse under the partial vacuum being created at that point when you're WOT. It shouldn't because you've got a decent size filter on it so flow should be good. :)

If your turbo is off a diesel though, be careful it doesn't lunch your engine when it eventually destroys itself. :eek: Welcome to the worries of single turbo ownership ;)

Rich, I think you might need to be very careful with that turbo.

Things may have changed over the years but I recall reading an article about the first Bentley Mulsanne Turbo. The only turbo they could find that was big enough was designed for diesel engines and as these run a lot cooler than petrol engines they had to change the construction and the material used.

Someone who knows more than me might be able to either confirm this or tell you it is no longer an issue.

Nice matey, when you getting it mapped?

Only things I would double check/change is oil drain drain pipe diameter, 90deg silicon elbow might collapse, maybe get an ali pipe instead. You should also be careful with EGT temps being a diesel tubby.

Search here for GT4088 truck turbo failures ;)

The oil drain is a braided line 12mm internal bore. The same size as the oil drain hole in the turbo and the return flange to the sump.

The turbo starts to come on boost at 4k . as soon as it started to boost i let off due to having no map.

The way i see it diesel turbo will run hotter due to them have higher compression plus having 11 litres being forced through it at with that volume of air would come restriction therefore heat.

On the supra you have a 1/4 of the cc / air flow so you can have a higher rpm of my engine before it makes the same air flow as the diesel .plus ill be running less boost than it would have in the truck. it will be fine if it blows ill replace it and if need be ill rebuild the engine the point of this is to prove you can do this on a budget .

Plus the block in the next unit to me says he can beat me in a 1/4 race at pod in this mk4 golf 1.8 t with 450bhp. i have £100 on that and i dont like losing.

Rich.