The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1994 JDM Supra, rear end knocking

Guest bowlfa

Guest bowlfa

Sorry, I know this topic has been beat to death, as I have been doing a lot of research, but I have a knocking in the rear end of my1994 JDM Supra AT (Suspected Diff) and am wondering if anybody with more experience can help me. My car at the moment is completely factory.

Symptoms:

-Perfect During acceleration, through every gear, any acceleration.

-When I let go of the gas pedal, during any amount of deceleration I have a big banging in the center of the rear of the car, sometimes mild, but if I turn one way or another and something shifts, can be devastating to hear.

-If i hold the brake pedal slightly during deceleration, It doesn't happen, and never during acceleration, so it makes me think the differential isn't completely toast, but when I had a garage look at it on a ramp, I could physically move the cv shafts right to left, not a large amount of play but enough for concern. I am curious if anbody has had similar symptoms and managed with a diff rebuild kit or a simpler fix. I have heard about the diff mount play issue and the sticky caliper issue but don't think this is the problem I have. If anybody could give me some insite as to what I'm dealing with it would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Brian

Guest rjchue

check the rear disc pads, sometimes the discs will rock side to side ( not back to front), when you hold the brake you dont hear it anymore. thats because there is pressure on the pads and it stops it from rocking. I had the problem and i used high temperature silicone around the edges of the disc pads and all the knocking was gone. When my cousin and i were doing it, it sounded so far fetched but it worked. Try it and let me know. Hope it works for you because this drove me up the walls

I have something similar and on a thread a while ago, it seems a lot of people do.

Mine generally happens when in 4th at about 30-40mph when I let off it feels like the car rocks back and forth a couple of times and it makes a knock each time.

I think it was put down to slack in the drivetrain.