The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lost my boost.

Nemesis

On a spirited drive today, went to overtake... gave it a boot and there was a pop/bang/hiss and loss of boost.

Stopped for an uneducated poke about under the bonnet but being a mechanical ignoramus all I got was dirty.

Car still drives and sounds and feels fine but go near boost levels and it hisses loudly but no more.

What have I done to it? :(

This happened to me a while back mate, went to overtake and a loud pop and no boost, drove like it for the rest of the trip home ( 2miles ) and then found it was one of the joints in the intercooler pipework had popped off. Ive read about loads of people having the same problem, and its normaly the joint thats behind the bumper on the drivers side. The one that joins the pipe coming off the intercooler, and the pipe that joins the cast turbo pipe under the bonnet.

Hope this helps

Int.jpg

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)

just wondering if the intercooler pipes ain't connected properly don't the engine stall? Or its its because it a leak in this case, hence the symptoms?

A MAF system will struggle as it measures airflow just after the air filter, so it will see atmospheric all the time and overfuel loads. A MAP based system measures airflow in the intake plenum so will work perfectly normally, as it's still measuring the air that actually reaches the engine. It'll be unfiltered though, so don't do it for long, especially in dusty environments :)

This happened to me a while back mate, went to overtake and a loud pop and no boost, drove like it for the rest of the trip home ( 2miles ) and then found it was one of the joints in the intercooler pipework had popped off. Ive read about loads of people having the same problem, and its normaly the joint thats behind the bumper on the drivers side. The one that joins the pipe coming off the intercooler, and the pipe that joins the cast turbo pipe under the bonnet.

Hope this helps

Cheers, first place I'll check.