The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did you buy your supra??

Guest steviejay01

Guest steviejay01

When did you first see one and why did you decide to go for it.

Also why did you choose the one you have ie:

Manual

Auto

None Turbo

Twin Turbo.

Personally when I buy mine in a few weeks, its GOT to be Manual Twin Turbo, not a huge auto fan, personally I think it takes the fun out of the driving, but thats just me :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the verge of an Audi TT, but the girlfriend told me to look into the Jap market. After taking out a Scooby and skyline GTS i then had the pleasure of a Supra. It had some work done on it by Leon at JPS and i seemed to me perfect (or so i thought).

Went with a turbo coz erveryone said if i didn't then i would have whished that i had further down the line.

Automatic. I don't know. I didn't really care as i've heard there's very little performance difference between the both. It does take a little fun out the driving, but i don't really miss it. The TT is loads of fun wether it's manu or auto. Wait till you catch yourself in the reflextion of a shop window. Big grin factor.

I loved them from the moment I saw my first UK when they first came out.

I saw mine on a garage forecourt that I drove past everyday to work for over two weeks. She called to me every time I passed her. i tried to resist but she reeled me in, in the end and I just bought her. Only one reason why She's Red and the roof comes off no other reason required

:D

Well.... Ive always wanted a Supra, its kind of been a dream car for me. I cant remember when I first saw one, but whats alwats appealed to me is the size, the physical prescence, the sound, and being part of a niche group (as in there arent that many you see on the road) appealed to me.

Plus, the supra is modable beyond belief, so I can change the innards, the exterior if need be to look like a totally different car.

The rollercoaster originally started when my Rover coupe was getting high mileage, I thought that Id love to have a turbo Rover coupe. So, I saved a bit, thought about an engine conversion for £2k. However, Id heard all the problems people had with theirs getting done, then thought, "nar, Ill buy a mint coupe turbo with a £5k budget". Sure enough, one came up with stupidly low miles (ironically it had been shipped to Japan when first built, then imported back here again!). I passed up on it, so then I thought, well, if Im spending that much, maybe I can get a better car for the price.

So on and on it went, considered FTO's for a few thousand more, until eventually my price bracket had gone from 5k to 12k.

It was then a case waiting and picking the right dream car for me, and so I waited.

Why a turbo? Well, I wanted a coupe turbo, and I always wanted a car that I could push if need be, without taking the piss. I didnt see the point in not going the "whole hog" so to speak. I guess what Im trying to say is that Id have been kicking myself if I didnt.

So here I am, waited nearly 2 years in total, and Im a very, very happy man at the moment :)

Remember seeing Tiff Needell driving one on Top Gear in 1993, it was the sort of car you would dream of owning if you had the money.

Can't think of many other cars for this money which combine the flamboyant flash styling and high performance .:)

Much preferred to get a manual and it had to be a TT.

Didn't want to have any regrets later:)

To a certain degree I regret not buying the black TT hardtop sat next to mine on the forecourt at the same price as mine. But really I extract as much fun out of my N/A as I need, every time I take that roof out and cruise I forget completely the N/A TT difference and love my car right up. Its just this club that makes me feel a bit inadequate at times. But now when I drive (ford Ka's aside) I seem to hold my own especially in corners and overtaking maneouvres. OK I will never hack down the road at 180 in my N/A but 150 is actually very rapid and a touch disconcerting on our muppet bound roads

I bought mine to piss my ex wife off! :D

No, seriously. I had already owned a MK2 and a MK3 Supra and whilst the 2 was shit, I did have a lot of fun in the 3. When the MKIV came out I fell in love with it but it was out of my price range. A few years on and with a change in circumstances, I found that not only could I afford one, I could afford to run it properly and fund the mods.

I decided I had to have a TT as I didnt want the "I wonder what if" thing going. My choice was auto as it suits my style of driving and allows me to switch to manual mode when I want.

So here i am, almost 1 year down the line and I still have the grin factor. :D

Originally posted by steviejay01

When did you first see one and why did you decide to go for it.

The first Supra I ever noticed was a standard looking black import in the KFC car park. I didn't like it, I thought it looked a bit too flashy with big rear spoiler, big tyres and frog eyes. I didn't see another one for months after that and forgot all about Supras.

My 175,000 mile Beemer started playing up. It was time to get another car. We budgeted for up to £14k and started looking in Top Marques and AutoTrader etc.

I'm too lazy for body building so I wanted a powerful car to make up for my small penis. It didn't have to be sporty looking, something an Audi A8 4.2 Quattro would be perfect. Sadly, everything I liked was out of my price range.

I liked the look of the Mitsu 3000GT/GTO but my GF really didn't like them. "I'm not driving that" etc etc and her taking the piss out of me for saying Supras are too flashy and now I'm looking a 3000GT.

We went to see a Supra and a 3000GT, we both liked the Supra but it was only a non-turbo so we didn't bother taking it for a test drive.

Weeks go by, I'm still undecided what to get. This guy I'm talking to tells me that Supras can be "chipped up to 500 brake for a couple of hundred quid". I started looking into the tuning possibilites of both cars and quickly found out that the 500bhp chipped Supra was a myth but that Supras were both tunable and strong, whilst the GTO was neither.

Originally posted by Jake

I'm too lazy for body building so I wanted a powerful car to make up for my small penis.

Rolf Jake, you crack me up!

I've always liked Supra's looks wise, although I didnt really know much about their performance until TFATF (i know, i know, i'm sorry!).

I had no idea how 'affordable' they were, until a friend (Jason from this forum) got one, and when I saw it I fell in love. After finding out the prices etc, I was hooked and had to have one.

So here I am now awaiting my registration to go through so I can go and collect her. Time has never been so slow!!

Jay

It was so funny I had mine before the fast an the furious came out and when it did there was that scene where they bring the wreked supe in on a trailer in its original red albeit burnt out colour an my esteemed other half sat there an said "look they've got our car all wrecked there"

BTW Jake get an avatar as I can't get used to you not havin 1:p

My dream car has always been a Supra. I`ve known for years exactly what i wanted. Black, 6 speed manual with leather. I`m not exactly loaded and it will be years before i could afford one, but i had a bit of a near death experience and my outlook on life has completely changed so got as much money as the bank would give me and took the plunge. I`ve always really wanted a UK but the money wouldn`t stretch, so J-Spec TT6. The only thing i didn`t get was the leather. Oh well. Good job it goes like a train so who`s worried what you`re sat on.

Guest steviejay01

Ha......nice one.

Well my furry little friends, I will soon be part of your little gang, its gonna have to be Black, low big wheels, manual and very, very polished.

There is no way my missus is gonna drive it once I start modding it, I'll just tell her its fucked every time she picks up the keys.

Originally posted by Scarface GTti

My dream car has always been a Supra. I`ve known for years exactly what i wanted. Black, 6 speed manual with leather. I`m not exactly loaded and it will be years before i could afford one, but i had a bit of a near death experience and my outlook on life has completely changed so got as much money as the bank would give me and took the plunge. I`ve always really wanted a UK but the money wouldn`t stretch, so J-Spec TT6. The only thing i didn`t get was the leather. Oh well. Good job it goes like a train so who`s worried what you`re sat on.

Me thats why I sit on leather and alcantara in an auto N/A. OK the roof does come off as well which I love. The seats can be dealt with by buying brand new leather seat covers from toyota japan or someone either here or on the other site that doesnt get mentioned here for about £400. Or keep your eye on Ebay they do come up on a regular basis as any trashed UK supe will make immediatte cash returns on the seats.

Originally posted by steviejay01

Ha......nice one.

There is no way my missus is gonna drive it once I start modding it, I'll just tell her its fucked every time she picks up the keys.

Oh really You tell the real brains of our outfit that little chestnut and see where that gets ya---- A swift kick in the nads and her keys back lol. Only thing she hasn't had a go at is the nitrous yet and that so far is a big yet because she wants it tuning properly before she has a go so its proper fast when she does.