The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gauging Interest on a potential GroupBuy- Carbon Fibre Exhaust surround

ripped_fear

Evening all.

I have been planning on making myself a Exhaust surround for a while now, and thanks to Ash on here I now have the bumper piece I need to get cracking. After seeing a wanted thread with a few people expressing interest about such an item, I though I would approach the mods on doing a one off group buy of around 10 maybe a little more.

I have been given the go ahead, hence why I'm posting this thread now.

The item

The exhaust surround itself will be a fibreglass exhaust surround, wrapped in a Carbon fibre material and hopefully a nice think layer of clear coat/ resin to give it a bit of depth. I'm hoping it will be able to use the bumper fitting bolt, so it will be able to be bolted on using the same OEM fitting point, but if this turns out to not be realistic then it will simply need to be stuck/bonded on.

Price

The price i'm thinking will be around £40-£55 per item posted.

This price will cover the cost of the following

-fibreglass,

-filler,

-clear coat,

-carbon wrap,

-postage and packing,

and a small amount for my time.

Pictures

I have enclosed a picture of the rough shape I'm thinking of doing it-

attachment.php?attachmentid=147923&stc=1&d=1331234639

attachment.php?attachmentid=147924&stc=1&d=1331234672

Time Frame

I have only just started making number one for myself so if there is enough interest I should be able to get the group buy on these going in around about one months time.

To express interest

So if anyone would be interested in one of these please reply in this thread saying so, and please feel free to ask any question you feel you need answered. I would also like to say please DO NOT PM me asking for me to make you one before this, as I will not be doing any more than what I make for this GB as that would require me to be a hobbyist and I do not intend to go against any forum rules.

Thanks Jake

EDIT Some new pictures.

attachment.php?attachmentid=148002&stc=1&d=1331407548

attachment.php?attachmentid=148003&stc=1&d=1331407587

attachment.php?attachmentid=148004&stc=1&d=1331407587

First attempt progress- See Page 4

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM Lbm about this. Give him an exact figure for the price. The mods will discuss it and the thread will be released pending Mod approval.

I have been given the go ahead to post this thread by 'Steve' the mod.

If the interest is there then we will take it to the next stage. Just testing the water currently.

I have been given the go ahead to post this thread by 'Steve' the mod.

If the interest is there then we will take it to the next stage. Just testing the water currently.

Wicked mate. Glad to hear it. Didn't want you getting into trouble like I always did lol

I'd probably have one but would need to see your first finished one though before I commit to a buy

what he said :)

:thumbs: no ones committing to a buy here, even if you want to guys :D just seeing if its worth my while.

Wicked mate. Glad to hear it. Didn't want you getting into trouble like I always did lol

Naughty Noz :p

I'd probably have one but would need to see your first finished one though before I commit to a buy

EDIT: This is a real one costing $150, if the finished product looks even remotely like this I'll have one in an instant :D

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k540/Joiner91/IMG_1869__11140_zoom.jpg

That looks good, im thinking of doing it a little more curved than that but it gives you an idea. The shape i think im going to try replicate is this-

attachment.php?attachmentid=147933&stc=1&d=1331237364

Carbonbarprotector.jpg

That looks good, im thinking of doing it a little more curved than that but it gives you an idea. The shape i think im going to try replicate is this-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=147933&stc=1&d=1331237364

Bought one of them. Dearer than your price and I couldn't quite get the fit tight enough to bond it to my satisfaction. So yours looks great value. Good luck mate.:)

How do they respond to the heat from the exhaust?

I have a white car and it does get a little sutty/black around that area. Wipes clean but does get dirt and hot that area

just wondering are they heat resistant etc