The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prices and Dealers (dumb newbie stuff inside)

Guest smash

Guest smash

Looking for a new toy and ended up considering the Supra after brief dalliance with the idea of MR2 Turbo (and strangely drawn to Mits GTO at the mo as well) but WTF is going on with prices they're all over the place!

Not ruling out NA until I find the price of NA/T conversion fitted - couldn't find any prices tho. I know the XSpower kit is about £1200

Realistically will I get a TT actually worth having for £6k? (Not a needy mistress) Auto I guess? From all the pretty pictures I've been (rather sadly) looking at when I should be working it has to be kitted - love the wide body look.

What are the views on Paul Browns and Jus Sports (yorkshire)? pm if not allowed on board - even their prices seem all over the shop.

Is there a regular Essex meet?

Is there a limit to how many questions a dumb newbie is allowed to string together in one post? :D

You'd get a tidy auto TT for £6k. If it were me, I'd check the classifieds on here or speak to Jurgen as you will be getting a good one from him and if you buy from a member, you can check their previous posts and hopefully they'll be trustworthy.

Good luck with your search :)

Search is you friend mate.

6k will see you in a nice TT auto or any NA. But TT6 will probably be a bit of a dog for that money if you can find one. (very hard for that price normally around the 10k)

Search Paul brown if you want info plenty out there ;)

NA-t conversion price will vary allot depending on parts used, any where from 2k-6k but do allot of searching as depending on your power goal the w58 gearbox in most na's will go pop if high BHP is wanted. And if you decide to upgrade to the TT's 6 speed you can say good by to another 2.5-3k.

2 parts of the country I would avoid like the plague when buying cars - Keighly/Bradford & High Wycambe.

Have a search through the classifieds on here, speak to Jurgen at JM Imports and post up any links to ads you find elsewhere to see if anyone here knows the car.

Take your time, read all the guides on here and you'll find a Supra to suit you eventually.

Not ruling out NA until I find the price of NA/T conversion fitted - couldn't find any prices tho. I know the XSpower kit is about £1200

A 'proper' 'reliable' NA-T conversion using only quality parts that are fit for purpose - not some cheap, poor quality Ebay cr*p - will cost you the price of a decent TT. (quality turbo kit £3-4K, upgraded drivetrain, ECU/mapping, electronics, upgraded fueling, upgraded cooling, etc. etc.)

Every TT will be different, for £6K it could be fine or it could be a complete dog that needs another £6K throwing at it to make it road worthy again. I'd either see if there's a knowledgeable member that can view the car with you or pay a tuner familiar with Supras to give it the once over for you before buying.

Guest smash

cheers for replies - yep would welcome everyone's input on anything I spot that might burn a hole in my wallet!

Did the search (Should really have done that first, sorry *ahem*) - found an interesting thread that mentions "the other one" around High Wycombe but not the actual name of who I should avoid.

Just browsed JM - yes, very nice - I expect stock must be exemplary cos the prices sure are! I have had a troll throught the classifieds - nothing setting me on fire immediately but if I'm honest (and not wanting to offend) the prices seem very, erm, strong.

Is there anyone on here or recommended who'd quote for NA/T conversion? When you say cheap ebay cr*p - are we talkign XSpower?

Edited by smash (see edit history)

Is there anyone on here or recommended who'd quote for NA/T conversion? When you say cheap ebay cr*p - are we talkign XSpower?

Paul at garage wifbitz is a club trader and he does a NA-t kit, It will cost you around 5-6k without the price of anything such as engine rebuild which may be needed if you buy a 'cheap' NA.

Guest smash

Austec? As in Austec who are into TVR's? Going back to my cerb owning days (everytime I started that thing I didn't know whether it was going to make it to my destination or kill me on route!)

OK so the NA/T route is out - looks like I'm going to have rely on "time share stylee grind you down" bargaining tactics and waving folding under peoples noses then!

Prices are strong because they are great cars mate. R34 GTRs are incredibly strong on price also...you get what you pay for!

You pay for what you get, thats for sure. Rather save up a little more than buy one thats slightly cheaper, if it is too good to be true more than likely it is. If you do a search in the forum theres plenty of N/A - T

N/A - TT and plenty more, just got to take some time and read up.

If you are looking at local meets, it would be the Bluewater meet but where abouts you in Essex?

cheers for replies - yep would welcome everyone's input on anything I spot that might burn a hole in my wallet!

Did the search (Should really have done that first, sorry *ahem*) - found an interesting thread that mentions "the other one" around High Wycombe but not the actual name of who I should avoid.

Just browsed JM - yes, very nice - I expect stock must be exemplary cos the prices sure are! I have had a troll throught the classifieds - nothing setting me on fire immediately but if I'm honest (and not wanting to offend) the prices seem very, erm, strong.

If I were you, I'd get a TT from the start as you obviously want the power. Once used to it, BPU it and you'll have up to 400bhp. It'll save a lot of time and hassle.

check some our latest cars on facebook and what we get up to and how we prep them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Imports/113721402065759

we spend a lot of time in our cars now..

you can see underneath of one its like new.

some of the prices can be negotited but they will always be higher than the private seller or a Uk example.

Guest smash

Oh no - 3 posts in and I've offended a respected trader already! Where's reverse on these things? :taped:

@Fightersblue I'm in Southend so Bluewater is an easy trip.

Not looking for superbig power - can't see me wanting to go much past 400 power wise - getting to old for the dogfights but the auto appeals to me with the idea of getting a consistent launch just in case I did get the urge for a dust up (unlikely obviously :innocent: )

Where ever or who ever you buy from ask to see all the paper work, mots, receipts for work done,

hpi report, history, import stuff etc and read it.

Dont buy the first one you see because it looks nice etc, do plenty of homework and check a car thoroughly.

There are lots of dogs out there you really dont want to own and even in here you still have to

do your checks.

The list of things to worry about on a mkiv are endless and can cost you the value of the car again

to fix them when they go wrong.

Good luck and take your time

Oh no - 3 posts in and I've offended a respected trader already! Where's reverse on these things? :taped:

@Fightersblue I'm in Southend so Bluewater is an easy trip.

Not looking for superbig power - can't see me wanting to go much past 400 power wise - getting to old for the dogfights but the auto appeals to me with the idea of getting a consistent launch just in case I did get the urge for a dust up (unlikely obviously :innocent: )

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

Here's a buyers guide from the forum.

Guest smash

Buyers guide and model difference guide were excellent - kudos to those who took the time to put them together. Age? I think I'm in danger of denting your age demographic the wrong way *whisper* 46! *whisper*