The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra Finally Remapped Using AEM FIC!

Guest wutang200

Guest wutang200

Posted on behalf of my mate (username: gurnam) as he's not able to post threads until he's sorted out his membership (he'll sort it at the end of this month when he gets paid).

After lots and lots of searching around, trying to decide which tuning route to take and Supra tuners telling me they won’t touch the AEM FIC which made me feel that a standalone ECU was my best and only option (not to mention the fact that they’re all on the other side of the country from me!), I’ve finally got her mapped up by an almost local tuner and screaming like a banshee!

The car feels absolutely fantastic with a nice power band compared to before. It’s been mapped on 97RON fuel at just under 1.2bar.

I decided to get it mapped in TTC mode to take strain off the first turbo as it wouldn’t be online all the time like in sequential mode. I understand it means I’ll lose the low end response but I was after a feeling as close to what I’d get from a small single turbo which is what it feels like now.

The TTC conversion, IMHO makes the car more predictable too as there’s no second rush of torque mid corner to catch me out like before. There’s not that much lag than my mate's S15 as you can see from the RR graphs. The big rush of torque you get when both turbos come on together feels absolutely amazing and brutally scary at the same time.

Here’s what it was making before the map was done running in sequential mode:

Here’s what it’s making right now in TTC mode:

We ran into a few issues though as the car started misfiring at 1bar which required new plugs fitting as my incompetent mechanic had fitted grade 6 plugs in. Then the misfire returned at 1.2bar so the coilpack plugs were changed (common issue). Also a rubber IC pipe had a big split in it which needed replacing prior to beginning the tune.

It’s been a long and expensive road but I’m very happy with the car now.

It didn’t cost me anywhere near the price I’d have paid for a standalone and it would have cost me a lot more in fuel and accommodation if I’d have gone to one of the Supra tuners down South which I felt was my only option until I came across a company in Warrington called Tuning Developments. I did try calling TDI North but they didn’t give me the same kind of confidence and wanted a lot more money.

These guys have been mapping Nissans and other Japanese cars for a long time so they knew what they’re doing. They're also quite popular on SXOC.

I’d highly recommend them to anyone who’s in a similar situation to me where they just want their Supra mapped at BPU and have no big plans later on down the line. Best thing for me is that they’re only 40 minutes away from me compared to the tuners on here which are close to 4 hours so I can always pop back each year to get the map checked and fine adjustments made very easily.

Spec:

Refurbished JDM turbo’s fitted with steel internals

True Twin Conversion (TTC)

FMIC

Blitz SBC iD-III Spec R Dual Solenoid Boost Controller

Uprated Plugs

Uprated Fuel Pump

Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

Straight through Blitz exhaust system (cats removed)

Stock airbox with new OEM filter fitted

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wutang200
Why did you fit the ecu dude was it doing something strange?

What do you mean? I needed to get the car mapped if that's what you mean.

Guest wutang200
Looks like a nice result, what is the rwhp now.

341.2 bhp. The car feels great and puts a huge smile on my face every time. Feels like a small single turbo kicking in.

I'd recommend anyone to get their car tuned by Tuning Developments if you're staying BPU but getting told you need to go standalone.

Edited by wutang200 (see edit history)

Guest wutang200
are you running larger injectors dude?

Stock JDM injectors with an FPR fitted. I didn't feel the need to go for bigger injectors.

Guest wutang200
I dnt see what you have gained from the FIC thats all, i wondered if you had another problem that needed the FIC to sort out, but nice power figures to end up with.

Thanks but still unsure what you mean? I bought the FIC to get the car mapped properly so it gets the right fuelling when the boost is turned up & the gain increased. There wasn't any problem with the car other than a split IC hose which they fixed before beginning mapping the car.

Thanks but still unsure what you mean? I bought the FIC to get the car mapped properly so it gets the right fuelling when the boost is turned up & the gain increased.

how much boost you running then, im guessing BPU 1.2bar?

Thanks but still unsure what you mean? I bought the FIC to get the car mapped properly so it gets the right fuelling when the boost is turned up & the gain increased. There wasn't any problem with the car other than a split IC hose which they fixed before beginning mapping the car.

I dont see what you have gained, I have run seq bpu cars on the same dyno and made more power and the fueling is bob on with the stock ecu at the same boost level, if you had fitted 550 inj I could see the point.

Guest wutang200
how much boost you running then, im guessing BPU 1.2bar?

Everything is shown on the RR graph in the first post. It's running just under 1.2 bar.

Guest wutang200
I dont see what you have gained, I have run seq bpu cars on the same dyno and made more power and the fueling is bob on with the stock ecu at the same boost level, if you had fitted 550 inj I could see the point.

I'm still confused as to what you mean. You're saying if I'd have fitted 550's then my current power is correct? But I've made my power without the 550's so I'm not complaining.

How much extra power did these seq BPU cars have made over mine? Just curious to know.

Also did these cars have the same mods as mine?

Im saying you did not need to fit an AEM FIC to your car dude, I have had BPU cars with the same mods put out less and more power but there is no need to fit an FIC unless you need to run larger injectors, the stock ecu is very good and had prob millions put into its development, the AEM is not and did not, my bet is if you uninstalled the AEM you would be exactly where you are now.

Im saying you did not need to fit an AEM FIC to your car dude, I have had BPU cars with the same mods put out less and more power but there is no need to fit an FIC unless you need to run larger injectors, the stock ecu is very good and had prob millions put into its development, the AEM is not and did not, my bet is if you uninstalled the AEM you would be exactly where you are now.

I think the chap wanted to map for TTC, which is why he needed something to control the fuelling. When I did the same I stuck a PFC on mine.

Guest wutang200

Can you post up RR graphs of these cars that are running the same setup as mine? I'm very curious.

I think the chap wanted to map for TTC, which is why he needed something to control the fuelling. When I did the same I stuck a PFC on mine.

As I would never advise anyone to run TTC I doubt I have ever spoken to him, why anyone wants to ruin then delivery of the seq set up I dont know, everyuone I know who has tried TTC goes back, we tried TTc on my silver car and it ran fine on the mines ecu but look at the dyno plot, ive just dynoed my black single car and it makes 0.8 bar over a 1000 rpm sooner than this car but will make easily 500hp, TTC give all the bad characteristics of the single conversion and non eof the good ones, I know its personal taste but thats my opinion, I have 100's of dyno runs but cannot remember the spec of each car, we just did a 6 speed conversion on a BPU car and it made 430 hp, stock ecu 440's and walboro pump at 1.25 bar, fueling was spot on, I also 100% would never ever tell anyone to fit an FIC.

As I would never advise anyone to run TTC I doubt I have ever spoken to him, why anyone wants to ruin then delivery of the seq set up I dont know, everyuone I know who has tried TTC goes back, we tried TTc on my silver car and it ran fine on the mines ecu but look at the dyno plot, ive just dynoed my black single car and it makes 0.8 bar over a 1000 rpm sooner than this car but will make easily 500hp, TTC give all the bad characteristics of the single conversion and non eof the good ones, I know its personal taste but thats my opinion, I have 100's of dyno runs but cannot remember the spec of each car, we just did a 6 speed conversion on a BPU car and it made 430 hp, stock ecu 440's and walboro pump at 1.25 bar, fueling was spot on, I also 100% would never ever tell anyone to fit an FIC.

I loved TTC. Easier to launch the car, more predictable through corners, better MPG (OK that last one is clutching at straws a bit!). It's also is a great way to prepare for the power delivery of a single before you can afford to go down that route.

As you say, it's a personal thing really. I enjoyed it.

However, it's essential to get the fuelling tweaked to go TTC properly. 99% of people I've spoken to hated TTC because they didn't get the fuelling sorted.

And finally, like you, I'd never advise an FIC ;)

I loved TTC. Easier to launch the car, more predictable through corners, better MPG (OK that last one is clutching at straws a bit!). It's also is a great way to prepare for the power delivery of a single before you can afford to go down that route.

As you say, it's a personal thing really. I enjoyed it.

However, it's essential to get the fuelling tweaked to go TTC properly. 99% of people I've spoken to hated TTC because they didn't get the fuelling sorted.

And finally, like you, I'd never advise an FIC ;)

So what your saying is TTC is great if you dont know how to drive !!!! LOL:taped::p;):eyebrows: