The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Question !!! I Know I know .

dude

After driving the range rover for so long i cannot put up with the candles in the supra and seeing as we now know they can be set up not too dazzle I want to put some HID's in it, has anyone managed to buy a set with DIRECT fit bulbs, not having to trim the tabs off etc ???? Also wanted the mini ballasts so they are easy to mount. I know they are dirt cheap from china but is there anywhere else?? Thanks guys.:rolleyes:

After driving the range rover for so long i cannot put up with the candles in the supra and seeing as we now know they can be set up not too dazzle I want to put some HID's in it, has anyone managed to buy a set with DIRECT fit bulbs, not having to trim the tabs off etc ???? Also wanted the mini ballasts so they are easy to mount. I know they are dirt cheap from china but is there anywhere else?? Thanks guys.:rolleyes:

I've never had to trim any of mine, they always fitted straight in. The only thing I would recommend if you were having a bit of trouble would be to loosen off the mounting rings at the back of the lights to get them in. Once in they can be tightened right up again, I've never had this issue though.

I would just buy a set from Ebay mate. For all they cost it's worth just doing it that way.

you will need HB3 9005 bulbs which are a direct fit as that is what I have just fitted with no issues...

well did have issues with the wrong bulbs been sent out/bulb blown and 1 week later the ballast blown.. but yea all sorted now!

best bet is ebay! cheaper and is the exact same kits.. I got knight racer kits thinking it was going to be special got stung 70 quid!! looked on ebay can get the bulbs for £10 for 2 bulbs and the ballast for £12 each so yea mucho cheaper..

you will need HB3 9005 bulbs which are a direct fit as that is what I have just fitted with no issues...

well did have issues with the wrong bulbs been sent out/bulb blown and 1 week later the ballast blown.. but yea all sorted now!

best bet is ebay! cheaper and is the exact same kits.. I got knight racer kits thinking it was going to be special got stung 70 quid!! looked on ebay can get the bulbs for £10 for 2 bulbs and the ballast for £12 each so yea mucho cheaper..

So the 9005 will go straight in the dip beam of a facelft headlight ?? Was going to do fogs as well which I believe are an H3. Found a guy in the UK doing em with mini ballasts for £29 so will prob go with him as if there are problems it easier to sort out.

I'd check your headlights for fitment. When I used to supply people with HID bulbs there were cross over's with HB4 and HB3 being used different combinations of lights. People had to returne different sets. Just double check mate what you are running. My JSpec lumes on my car are for UK spec headlights, PITA

I have hb3's in main and dipped and h3 fogs all with slim ballasts, the hb3 and hb4 hid bulbs are exactly the same, the only difference is on original bulbs one has 2 tabs in the connector plugand the other has 1

Main beams need a heated base if you want instant full intensity in switch on

I have hb3's in main and dipped and h3 fogs all with slim ballasts, the hb3 and hb4 hid bulbs are exactly the same, the only difference is on original bulbs one has 2 tabs in the connector plugand the other has 1

Main beams need a heated base if you want instant full intensity in switch on

So I need hb3's for dipped then, whats the heated base and is it worth going for the 50W version over the 35 ???? Also getting some silly heat range for the front fogs on the Rangey with the new 2012 front.

I got hb3 50w units at 6000k (White like rangie stock hids)

I think a lower heat slightly yellower light would work better for fogs (doesn't bounce back so bad)

Some factory fitted high beam hids have very expensive setups that basically preheat the main beam, I did a home made jobby

Wot heat rating you going for on your rangie fogs?

Was going to go 6 or 8K on the Supra (the fogs need to match the dipped) and 10 or 13K on the RR, i never use the fogs either front or rear but would look good fore the odd pose when in town . Strangely I could legally drive with the fogs on all the time as they are the required distance from the floor, cant believe the amount of cars now driving with the front fogs on all the time, some idiots even on sides and fogs, and these are like businesmen and not cruisers. Down the back lanes in the snow the fogs were pretty good at illuminating the kerbs and useful as the speeds were low.

cant believe the amount of cars now driving with the front fogs on all the time, some idiots even on sides and fogs, and these are like businesmen and not cruisers.

I see loads of these people everyday and it seams to of become a really common accepted thing to do..... I may only be peed off due to my dipped beams being pants and when some moron drives at me with four lights on it irks me to the point I keep flashing full beam and fogs while giving some hinting hand gestures out the window.

I run my fronts all at 6000k, thefogs I usually run with my dips as they're technically "driving" lights at that height anyway, and my beam patterns are spit on

The rangies lights are very good I found

The Mostly country roads I drive everyday are filled with idiotswho drive with thier fogs on even with only sidelights , I do miss my rangie, it had huge road presence

please forgive the hijack what are ballasts? the reason i ask is HIDs are something i keep meaning to get around to getting. I have UK glass lights in with j spec wiring.

Part of the HID kit, i believe they convert 12v to a much higher voltage for the HID bulb, its a box that goes in line between the bulb and wiring, the mini ballasts are a lot smaller and easier to fit.

Part of the HID kit, i believe they convert 12v to a much higher voltage for the HID bulb, its a box that goes in line between the bulb and wiring, the mini ballasts are a lot smaller and easier to fit.

Ah ok cheers Dude, so if i buy a HID "KIT" I should be ok...

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-9005-hid-headlight-conversion-kit/?bulb_search=c25346&end=front

Heard hids are going to be an issue for mot this year. Does anyone have exact details? Is it going to be a pattern issue? I have hid dips.

You can always take em out and put stock bulbs in, you would not need to remove the kit just disconnect the plugs.

You can always take em out and put stock bulbs in, you would not need to remove the kit just disconnect the plugs.

Understood dude. Thanks. How come cars can come from the factory with hids? Annoys me the laws that sometime pass. Fitting hits is the 1st thing to do on a Supra. Standard lamps are a joke and dangerous on unlit roads.