The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ORC/Ogura Twin Plate Clutch - Rattle

Samurai 20V

Hi..

Need some advice.

I sat in a Supra that has a brand new ORC twin plate, clutch is silent on idle with the pedal depressed.

When you press the pedal, there is a horrible scraping/rattling noise that comes from the clutch..

Is that normal?

The pedal pressure is very light, the clutch supposedly has only done 600kms..

Thanks for the help.

strapless clutches will emit a very loud rattle under certain circumstances, pedal up in neutral at idle for example. they can also rattle with the clutch out, before the engagement point is reached

drivetrain vibrations such as those caused by large cams or a solid flywheel will exacerbate this (standard flywheel is dual mass which dampens a lot of vibration)

os giken clutches for example are strapless, not sure about orc specifically

if it doesnt slip and it shifts gear ok then the adjustment is probably fine. ask the owner if its a strapless clutch.

were you in neutral and just pressed the clutch pedal?

hard to tell from that cos the actual sound is so short, but the second brief burst sounds a bit like mine when it rattles

the first brief burst of noise sounded more like a grind but if you werent putting it in gear then it obviously wasnt

id say its probably ok, as long as it shifts ok and the clutch holds

if you buy it i would definitely remove that hks mushroom of death airfilter though, they dont filter very well

were you in neutral and just pressed the clutch pedal?

hard to tell from that cos the actual sound is so short, but the second brief burst sounds a bit like mine when it rattles

the first brief burst of noise sounded more like a grind but if you werent putting it in gear then it obviously wasnt

id say its probably ok, as long as it shifts ok and the clutch holds

if you buy it i would definitely remove that hks mushroom of death airfilter though, they dont filter very well

That was with the clutch down in neutral..

The first burst was me pressing the pedal and then letting go.

2nd was pedal all the way down.

It took into gear fine..

I am gonna test drive the car soon, will see if it changes properly..

Hell of racket, people must think the car is broken with that noise..

The HKS filter is the first thing to go after the crap FRP bonnet and fenders..

I have an ORC twin plate in mine and it sounds horrendous. It's exactly as you explained. It is normal yes. The rattle when you press the pedal becomes quieter when the car is very hot but it then develops a rattle from the flywheel when the clutch is not pressed and the car is at idle. Very strong clutches though.

I have an ORC twin plate in mine and it sounds horrendous. It's exactly as you explained. It is normal yes. The rattle when you press the pedal becomes quieter when the car is very hot but it then develops a rattle from the flywheel when the clutch is not pressed and the car is at idle. Very strong clutches though.

Thanks Hodge, my first experience with a twin plate clutch, I got very worried when I heard it..

Is there any multi plate clutch that is relatively quiet?