The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking at storing the supe for the next year or so.

staples230uk

As per the title due to work and child commitments I won't have the time to spend with the supra. I don't want to sell her as it will break my heart (sniff). Thinking of just keeping her off the road so I can still work on her super slow time. What do I need to consider when keeping a supra off the road. Apologies for the noddy question! :)

Trickle charge on the battery

Hand brake off

Possibly put up on axle stands to prevent tyre flat spots

Start up the car every few weeks and let idle for about 30mins or so and allow to get up to heat.

Can't think of anything else majorly required!?

Is it going to be in a dry garage, or outside? If outside I would probably say sell it. If inside, in a DRY garage, there's no need to do anything really. Just disconnect the battery and leave a window down a crack. A couple of years is nothing, should fire straight up again with a battery charge, or at worst a new battery. I am a firm believer in NOT starting the engine of stored vehicles, every cold start gives as much wear as probably 500 miles normal usage. I just leave them be, maybe turn the engine over by hand a quarter turn a week if it has wild valve springs in it, to help them from taking a set, which GOOD springs shouldn't do anyway. A 2JZ-GTE, even a pretty radically tuned one, won't have wild valve springs in it.

Is it going to be in a dry garage, or outside? If outside I would probably say sell it. If inside, in a DRY garage, there's no need to do anything really. Just disconnect the battery and leave a window down a crack. A couple of years is nothing, should fire straight up again with a battery charge, or at worst a new battery. I am a firm believer in NOT starting the engine of stored vehicles, every cold start gives as much wear as probably 500 miles normal usage. I just leave them be, maybe turn the engine over by hand a quarter turn a week if it has wild valve springs in it, to help them from taking a set, which GOOD springs shouldn't do anyway. A 2JZ-GTE, even a pretty radically tuned one, won't have wild valve springs in it.

Agree with this, my mid seventies celica is started once a year or even 2 and starts first time every time. I'm of the understanding that you create condensation by warming it up and letting it cool which isn't good, I'd just stick it on axle stands and let it be.