The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suggestion on machine polisher

Dim Sum

Guest Budz86

How much experience do you have with using them? I find my DA takes too long now so would rather a rotary as you can get a better finish much quicker! If you're worried about burning the paint with a rotary just get an old panel from a scrapyard and practice on that :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/silverline-silver-storm-rotary-polisher/cat_73.html

Good machine for the money, bought it a year ago, and havent looked back since. With a porter cable you will need a transformer, the Meguiars G220 is a Dual action polisher, so will take a lot longer to achieve the results of a rotary. As long as the machine you buy has speed control/adjustment settings, and you use the right pads, any rotary polisher should do the trick!

I use the CYC DA and am very impressed with it. Yes, you can get results quicker with a rotary (I used to use a Clarke one from Machine Mart) but it's easier to sling product everywhere if you're not careful, you'll shred a pad if you catch it and of course, you do run the risk of burning the paint. To be fair though, I think people do over exaggerate the risks. You have to go some to burn the paint.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/silverline-silver-storm-rotary-polisher/cat_73.html

Good machine for the money, bought it a year ago, and havent looked back since. With a porter cable you will need a transformer, the Meguiars G220 is a Dual action polisher, so will take a lot longer to achieve the results of a rotary. As long as the machine you buy has speed control/adjustment settings, and you use the right pads, any rotary polisher should do the trick!

Thanks for the link. I probably just buy that one. It says "Complete Meguiars Kit" so i guess no need to mess around.

Hey dude, I asked about this before and a few responses I got which I think may help.

Not got one yet, I will once the car has been to Stonkin to sort her out.

Stonkin will be my saving grace as it appears my neighbours are not fans of me slaying their precious cats that seam to enjoy a happy mixture of clawing my car and walking footprints over it after I clean it.

I was thinking some of these options will sort it out.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.realworldimage.com/images/photos_med/armed-guard-security-puerto-plata-shotgun-dominican-republic-safety-crime-prevention-weapon-cities-happy-work-men-daily-life-gary-moore-photo_15332.jpg&sa=X&ei=ALZST7DHLamh0QW8hNjKCw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEOcRSQ1ZlGIoBwu4j_R-CmdHZXgQ

:D

I have got 2 cats... and one of them which is orange and white colour avoids going on my car... the other one which is mostly white, every time the door is open she bloody gets in... or I find her sometimes sitting on the bonnet. Though luckily she has stopped doing it now, I just park it away away from the fence so she can not jump onto then bonnet.

Also watch out for foxes, they are known to jump on cars... generally they seem to be the smaller cub foxes, playing around.

I found, doing a wee near your car helps.

:D

I bought this kit

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/dodo-juice-spin-doctor-rotary/dodo-juice-spin-doctor-3m-polisher-kit/prod_813.html

Really good value for money imo. i love 3M products, the Compound is easy enought to work with do dust abit, but the "blue bottle(ultrafina) is an ace product that removes svirls and holograms.

And as its foam pads there is really no risk at burning the paint, more likely to go trough the paint on if you are to hard on edges with the compound.

I bought this kit

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/dodo-juice-spin-doctor-rotary/dodo-juice-spin-doctor-3m-polisher-kit/prod_813.html

Really good value for money imo. i love 3M products, the Compound is easy enought to work with do dust abit, but the "blue bottle(ultrafina) is an ace product that removes svirls and holograms.

And as its foam pads there is really no risk at burning the paint, more likely to go trough the paint on if you are to hard on edges with the compound.

I would love to get one but I would surely cock it up.

The silverline one i posted up also has a soft start feature, tbh the only reason i got that one was because it was the cheapest! It is a little heavy...but practice makes perfect! The 3m polisher is fantastic, but since i havent even detailed the whole car yet...really cant justify the price. It really depends on how much your willing to spend and your experience with rotary's. Lol at Abz weeing near his car!

I went to a meguiars meet the other weekend and they said there is no risk in using one, you could leave it on the same spot for 30mins and have no problems

That gives me hope then. Considering the cost of getting it machined polished you could buy one yourself and hopefully tidy up the paintwork. I would be happy to even avoid taping up some sections and just doing the larger area bonnet roof and doors ect just to get rid of some lights scratches and swirls.

I've got the Chicago Pneumatic CP8210, started off with a Silverline but it's heavy and a bit basic. The Chicago is the business, love it, bit pricey but I wish I had got it from the start and saved money from getting the silverline.

That gives me hope then. Considering the cost of getting it machined polished you could buy one yourself and hopefully tidy up the paintwork. I would be happy to even avoid taping up some sections and just doing the larger area bonnet roof and doors ect just to get rid of some lights scratches and swirls.

Its going to be a learing curve. first you need to learn the machine and then you have a million diffrent products to choose from. Learing to detail a car take a lot of time and alot of effort. Dont count on that your car will look awsome after first time. taking bigger scratches will take a while before you can manage imo. Just be carefull with the compound.

Iam by no meens a proffesional but ive done quite a few cars 20ish and iam super happy with the dodo machine and the 3M products. if you use the 3M foam pads there is really know way you are going to burn the paint unless you are using compound.

Its going to be a learing curve. first you need to learn the machine and then you have a million diffrent products to choose from. Learing to detail a car take a lot of time and alot of effort. Dont count on that your car will look awsome after first time. taking bigger scratches will take a while before you can manage imo. Just be carefull with the compound.

Iam by no meens a proffesional but ive done quite a few cars 20ish and iam super happy with the dodo machine and the 3M products. if you use the 3M foam pads there is really know way you are going to burn the paint unless you are using compound.

So a beginner like myself best to stick with 3m foam pads. I always thought that you always got to make sure that the pads have enough polish compound or it will burn the paint?

Don't get me wrong I would just like to think it would look better than if I did it by hand and that I might get rid of a few light scratches and swirls mainly.