The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air-con repairs - typical cost?

AJI

Just wondering if many of you guys have had to repair your air-con pipework due to a leak(s)?

I'm trying to find out if there is an easy fix with small leaks or is it usually a case of new pipe work?

The last time I had mine re-gassed they put in some coloured dye, which over the space of 2 weeks worked its way back out and sprayed a bit of colour in to the engine bay. So it looked like I got myself a small crack in one of the pipes. But is there an easy fix like putting in a sealant in to the air-con or is it normally new pipes?

How much is air-con pipework these days?

Cheers.

my aircon was removed when i got the car. baught a complete setup 2nd hand and had it fitted. didnt cost too much. if its just a pipe that needs changing id just give keron a bell and see if he has any. might even be able to do it yourself. depends what pipe it was.

Depends whats wrong and how much diagnostic work is required. I paid around £450 a few years back to resolve the issue on mine. Most of that was diagnostic work trying to locate the problem. It turned out to be a faulty expansion valve.

If you know what's wrong then it shouldn't be too much to fix.

Just wondering if many of you guys have had to repair your air-con pipework due to a leak(s)?

I'm trying to find out if there is an easy fix with small leaks or is it usually a case of new pipe work?

The last time I had mine re-gassed they put in some coloured dye, which over the space of 2 weeks worked its way back out and sprayed a bit of colour in to the engine bay. So it looked like I got myself a small crack in one of the pipes. But is there an easy fix like putting in a sealant in to the air-con or is it normally new pipes?

How much is air-con pipework these days?

If you know the exact pipe that's leaking it's best to get a good used one fitted with new O rings, I can supply if you know which one you need. If you get stuck or need advice give me a call.

Cheers.

Depends whats wrong and how much diagnostic work is required. I paid around £450 a few years back to resolve the issue on mine. Most of that was diagnostic work trying to locate the problem. It turned out to be a faulty expansion valve.

If you know what's wrong then it shouldn't be too much to fix.

£450 to do the expansion valve, Ouch. It's fairly easy to diagnose an expansion valve leak, was that a dealership price?

If you know the exact pipe that's leaking it's best to get a good used one fitted with new O rings, I can supply if you know which one you need. If you get stuck or need advice give me a call.

Cheers.

£450 to do the expansion valve, Ouch. It's fairly easy to diagnose an expansion valve leak, was that a dealership price?

When the car went in the aircon had not run for around 2 years. Obviously there was a pressure test, dye etc. Once diagnosed it was then a replacement part, which was quite cheap, I also had the system cleaned and a new receiver dryer installed. Most of the cost was labour.

The guy is well regarded and as such charges full rates. Have to say his service was good and I was happy with the price.

When the car went in the aircon had not run for around 2 years. Obviously there was a pressure test, dye etc. Once diagnosed it was then a replacement part, which was quite cheap, I also had the system cleaned and a new receiver dryer installed. Most of the cost was labour.

The guy is well regarded and as such charges full rates. Have to say his service was good and I was happy with the price.

That's fair enough :thumbs:

Wow suprised how much people depend on air con here!

If you know which pipe has the hole i would get a second hand one.

Threw some of mine out when deleted the pump and rad etc, as they were twisted and snapped after i removed them lol.

Cheers.

Thanks Ibrar.

And thanks for the other replies too.

I'm off for a drive around Europe in summer and we'll be going down in to Italy where it can get quite warm. So air-con is a must for this trip!

:)