The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Wangan Supra

steve.m

1995 Toyota Supra RZ 3.1 Litre Big Twin Turbo 6 Speed Manual (Wangan Street Racer 340KM Top Speed)

Originally Built by Front Row Japan as their top speed demo car.

Supplied by JM-IMPORTS

Re-Built by SRD

Thought I'd start a thread with the progress of the supra after taking on the car from Andy (suprafan72) back in October last year.

This is where the car started in the u.k. http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/cardetails/toyota/2009/SUPRA20.html

The work Andy had done on the car since then.:D http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?209598-Project-1300&highlight=suprafan72

Full current Spec in my Garage.

This is how the car looked when I first got it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147251&d=1330595941

attachment.php?attachmentid=147252&d=1330595941

attachment.php?attachmentid=147253&d=1330595941

attachment.php?attachmentid=147254&d=1330595941

attachment.php?attachmentid=147255&d=1330595941

attachment.php?attachmentid=147256&d=1330595986

attachment.php?attachmentid=147257&d=1330595986

I had an issue with snapping rear wheel studs and when I investigated I found that when the spacers were fitted the studs that hold the spacer on had not been ground down enough, subsequently the wheel would not sit flat against the spacer. This must of caused massive stress on the studs so I’m not surprised a couple let go. Big thanks to JamieP and b'have for letting me raid their collection of wheel stud and nuts.:thumbs:

attachment.php?attachmentid=147237&d=1330553780

attachment.php?attachmentid=147238&d=1330553780

A couple of other jobs completed so far:

. Removed the HUGE stereo install as it weighted a ton and even managed to drown out the epic noise the car makes with the boost logic exhaust!:D

. Painted the scuttle panel and wiper arms, as they were looking a little tired.

. Fitted my TRD steering wheel.

Also as much as I like the way the car looks at the moment, I’m putting the body back to stock, as I love the stock look. The car is all back to stock apart from the front bumper.

I'm after a few parts if anyone has any of them knocking about>http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?263889-OEM-Jspec-Pre-Facelift-front-bumper-in-202-black-plus-a-Few-other-parts-required

Here is how the car looks now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147240&d=1330553780

attachment.php?attachmentid=147239&d=1330553780

attachment.php?attachmentid=147241&d=1330553780

attachment.php?attachmentid=147242&d=1330553828

attachment.php?attachmentid=147243&d=1330553828

attachment.php?attachmentid=147247&d=1330554447

attachment.php?attachmentid=147245&d=1330553828

attachment.php?attachmentid=147246&d=1330553828

The car is going into SRD next month for Lee to play with as Andy was chasing BIG power but I'm aiming for a fast spooling street set up.

wheel studs 1.jpg

wheel studs 2.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 A.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 B.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 C.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 D.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 E.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 G.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 H.jpg

Supra 28:2:12 F.jpg

P1020496.jpg

P1020497.jpg

P1020498.jpg

P1020499.jpg

Engine Bay.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

interior 2.jpg

Edited by steve.m (see edit history)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it, needs a stock front still I think, Them studs being to long is shocking, could have killed you.

Pretty naughty JP, if your gonna work on cars like this you should at least have half a clue as to what your doing !!! Were these fitted in Japan? Thats 2 killer black Supras on the forum, damn you 2! I can see a bigger turbo kit going on mine soon !!!!

Pretty naughty JP, if your gonna work on cars like this you should at least have half a clue as to what your doing !!! Were these fitted in Japan? Thats 2 killer black Supras on the forum, damn you 2! I can see a bigger turbo kit going on mine soon !!!!

They must have been fitted here, the car had BBS LMs initially, these were fitted afterwards, and all CCW classics need spacers IIRC.

They do look pretty great. If you're going back to stock, you'll obviously want some nice UK 17's to go on, which I'll p/x against those rims :D

I’m putting the body back to stock
:p

Love it, needs a stock front still I think, Them studs being to long is shocking, could have killed you.

I know mate, not good at all. Stock front is next on the list but if I'm not careful it's going to be getting very close to being the black beasts Chinese cousin!:D

They must have been fitted here, the car had BBS LMs initially, these were fitted afterwards, and all CCW classics need spacers IIRC.

It annoys me cause stuff like this gets people killed, I once bought a lotus and some numpty had joined the metal brake pipe with a rubber pipe and 2 jubilee clips, the result is obvious it wasnt pretty !!!!

we fitted those spacers as the wheels wont clear the rear brakes..

they have held up for 2000 plus miles no problems.

as more miles and more hard driving has been done the issue has arose i also drove this back for 5 hours from ryans and done 3-4 hours journeys many times with andy..

never once it snapped on me or andy..

you cant check a problem if it has not occured..

glad you found the cause of it..

i would maybe double check the size of the spacer is not the cause and giving the stress with the wheel size and the power (i mentioned this to andy at the time)

Cheers for the kind comments guys.

They require spacers on the back due to running big brake kit.

I don't want to get into who fitted the spacers and throwing blame around as I don't actually know who fitted them and I've not tried to find out. As far as I'm concerned they were fitted before I bought the car and I bought the car sold as seen.

When this has a stock front it will look awesome :)

Love the wheels :) What are the offsets? Is it the 17x11.5 rear, 18x10 front setup?

I believe they are yes, not actually checked.

we fitted those spacers as the wheels wont clear the rear brakes..

they have held up for 2000 plus miles no problems.

as more miles and more hard driving has been done the issue has arose i also drove this back for 5 hours from ryans and done 3-4 hours journeys many times with andy..

never once it snapped on me or andy..

you cant check a problem if it has not occured..

glad you found the cause of it..

i would maybe double check the size of the spacer is not the cause and giving the stress with the wheel size and the power (i mentioned this to andy at the time)

Maybe clock it up to experience dude, with a bolt on spacer you always check the wheel can bolt up and sit flush, a hard launch on a drag strip would have ripped that right off, the studs certainly look man enough and you would expect the spacer kit to be up to scratch, unfortunatly if someone gets hurt saying i thought it was OK as your sat in a prison cell is no consolation. Like you say Jurgen best option would be no spacer at all.

hold your horses lol... we fitted those otherwise andys wheels he ordered were NO GOOD..

he demanded them on and this was the only option..

if they are snapping my bet is the 900bhp with a huge spacer and massively wide tyres may put stress on the spacers nuts..

if steve has now found a cure after 2000 miles plus great..

but like i told andy at the time not too keen on spacers with massive wheels and huge power.. but we put it to test and it seemed fine..

it appears not now..

900bhp cars will break thinks, props etc which could dig into ground and hurt the car...

this car also has stock prop..

Maybe clock it up to experience dude, with a bolt on spacer you always check the wheel can bolt up and sit flush, a hard launch on a drag strip would have ripped that right off, the studs certainly look man enough and you would expect the spacer kit to be up to scratch, unfortunatly if someone gets hurt saying i thought it was OK as your sat in a prison cell is no consolation. Like you say Jurgen best option would be no spacer at all.

we drove it and drove it hard and never snapped..

best option is no spacer but then it means smaller brakes or different wheels.. ;-)

hold your horses lol... we fitted those otherwise andys wheels he ordered were NO GOOD..

he demanded them on and this was the only option..

if they are snapping my bet is the 900bhp with a huge spacer and massively wide tyres may put stress on the spacers nuts..

if steve has now found a cure after 2000 miles plus great..

but like i told andy at the time not too keen on spacers with massive wheels and huge power.. but we put it to test and it seemed fine..

it appears not now..

900bhp cars will break thinks, props etc which could dig into ground and hurt the car...

this car also has stock prop..

I know its a thankless task but maybe do what I do now, if a customer goes against what you think is the right and safe way either 1) refuse to fit em or 2) sign a disclaimer or at least put on the invoice it is reccomended etc, you need to cover yourself if something goes wrong, if the wheel was not tight on the hub with a spigot ring then that was the cause for sure.