The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New person onboard

Wyldfyre

Hey all. Just thought it would be courteous to introduce myself seeing as I made an account here. :D

Quick run-down: 19 years old, Supra "enthusiast" (None owned yet :cry:), completely inexperienced in mechanics (Took a wrong direction in college), modification and powerful cars (Insurance... :rolleyes:), but enthusiastic and willing to learn.

So yeah, that's why I'm here. :salute:

Edited by Wyldfyre (see edit history)

Welcome mate. Im only a year older and living the dream with an NA. All i will say to you if you are looking to get a Supra is to directly contact the insurance companies because these comparison websites are dreadfull misleading to young drivers.

Happy hunting on whatever you are after :)

Welcome mate. Im only a year older and living the dream with an NA. All i will say to you if you are looking to get a Supra is to directly contact the insurance companies because these comparison websites are dreadfull misleading to young drivers.

;)

:welcome:

If it's information about the Supra you are after, then you're in the right place mate. :D

Top tips:

1. Don't use any text speak, otherwise you'll have the moderators after you :dontfeedmods: :angrymod:

2. Make sure you use the search button before posting new threads, this catched lots of new members out and seems to annoy a lot of the seasoned vets! :angry:

If you follow these tips, you should be fine.

All the best.

Peter :)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :D

:welcome: are you looking to buy or just get all the info regarding supra's? whats your previous driving experience (if any)
Both, if possible. I know I won't be able to afford one for a while, so I thought I'd just try to expand my knowledge in the meantime.

Been driving since I was 17 and loving (almost) every moment of it. Still using my first car, a W reg Punto Sportivo.

Yeah, so far the cheapest I found online is around £5,300. And that's with no modifications aside from a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser. That said, the cheapest I could find for a Skyline was £18,000 :p

:welcome:

If it's information about the Supra you are after, then you're in the right place mate. :D

Top tips:

1. Don't use any text speak, otherwise you'll have the moderators after you :dontfeedmods: :angrymod:

2. Make sure you use the search button before posting new threads, this catched lots of new members out and seems to annoy a lot of the seasoned vets! :angry:

If you follow these tips, you should be fine.

All the best.

Peter :)

1. Yeah, I hate that too.

2. Been lurking for a while, so I did notice a lot of repeat threads.

Yeah, so far the cheapest I found online is around £5,300. And that's with no modifications aside from a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser. That said, the cheapest I could find for a Skyline was £18,000 :p

Thats crazy prices :blink: Have you tried/thought about an NA to start with? get a good price for one and shouldnt be to bad for insurance

Thats crazy prices :blink: Have you tried/thought about an NA to start with? get a good price for one and shouldnt be to bad for insurance
I did think about it, but from what I've seen, the N/As were consistently more expensive to insure. Could just be me missing something though. For a younger driver such as myself, would an N/A be better to start with than a TT? I did think that I was maybe trying to jump in the deep end too early.

Also, would something like an Advanced Driving Course factor in to these insurance quotes?

I did think about it, but from what I've seen, the N/As were consistently more expensive to insure. Could just be me missing something though. For a younger driver such as myself, would an N/A be better to start with than a TT? I did think that I was maybe trying to jump in the deep end too early.

Also, would something like an Advanced Driving Course factor in to these insurance quotes?

Its all down to experince and if you want instant power! i would recommend an NA to start with to get used to it since your coming from a punto. When looking for insurance DONT use comparesites or etc, try sky/adrian flux they do pretty good prices with club discount and etc.

It depends how sensible you are. I went from a 1.9TDi Golf to the Supra (stock, well about 330bhp) and have only come unstuck once about a week after I got it. The back end stepped out slightly on a wet island when I didn't mean for it to, but it was easy to get back in line (luckily it was on a completely empty road at night). If you're sensible, I can't see getting a TT being an issue :)

Same from me. :) Am I the only one that thinks that there has been an influx of new members that don't know where the shift key is and all type in the same way?

I concur! Some folk don't seem to have a very good grasp of sentence structure. Good to know I'm not the only member of the grammar police here!

As I said though, until you actually phone up to take aout a quote, the values are base on general guidelines. I was getting quotes of £1000-£1500 for NA's and UK TT's but when I called to discuss activating a policy all but the one I was already with, told me they just would not insure me at all. This was despite my 3 years no claims, no points and ona NA. The company that did give me a quote said it would be £5000 a year for a £3000 car on a personal policy, so I got sly and made the Supra my company car so only paying £450 a year :D.

Just don't get your hopes up too soon. Do your homework, find out exactly what you are looking for and save like mad. Attend any local meetings that you can and just have fun being part of the forum.

I concur! Some folk don't seem to have a very good grasp of sentence structure. Good to know I'm not the only member of the grammar police here!

I also concur, looking at half of the newbie threads I wish we could give them a spelling test before they were allowed to sign up.

Welcome friend - and an especially warm welcome from me as you seem to be able to put a sentence together that is grammatically correct. :)

I'll second that. Welcome to the club mate, top adivce I can give is to try and get to some of the meets. Plenty of friendly people here and a lot of banter, but it's all in good fun. I wish I could have bought a supra at 19 lol

It depends how sensible you are. I went from a 1.9TDi Golf to the Supra (stock, well about 330bhp) and have only come unstuck once about a week after I got it. The back end stepped out slightly on a wet island when I didn't mean for it to, but it was easy to get back in line (luckily it was on a completely empty road at night). If you're sensible, I can't see getting a TT being an issue :)
I like to think I am more of a sensible driver than most youngsters around my age who mostly hoon around everywhere in mindlessly clapped-out little hatchbacks. I understand that there is a massive power hike between anything I've driven and a Supra. I believe I would be a lot more cautious with something so precious. :innocent:

That's because you will have been getting quotes on a UK-spec TT. When it comes to j-spec's, the TT's and the N/A's are about the same to insure.
Hmm... :think:

I did list both the N/A and TT models as Jap imports though, and there was only a couple of hundred between the two.

As I said though, until you actually phone up to take aout a quote, the values are base on general guidelines. I was getting quotes of £1000-£1500 for NA's and UK TT's but when I called to discuss activating a policy all but the one I was already with, told me they just would not insure me at all. This was despite my 3 years no claims, no points and ona NA. The company that did give me a quote said it would be £5000 a year for a £3000 car on a personal policy, so I got sly and made the Supra my company car so only paying £450 a year :D.

Just don't get your hopes up too soon. Do your homework, find out exactly what you are looking for and save like mad. Attend any local meetings that you can and just have fun being part of the forum.

Nice. I don't think there's any way I could twist something like that in my circumstances. Although my father said he would pay for my insurance if I could find it cheap enough.

And yeah, I keep having to drag myself back from fantasy land all the time. Thanks for the advice though!