The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance want to know my HP.

Robzki

Hi all

Just got a quote from Competition car insurance and as a lot will know they need the horsepower as that is what it is rated on. The supra is a jspec tt basic bpu, at the moment it doesn't have a RR but does have a race cat which seems to do the same job at keeping me at 1 bar. I forgot to ask whether they rate rwhp or fwhp as that would change things. I don't have access to a dyno :(

What would be a rough guide of my hp for at the wheel and at the fly, I know it is a difficult question to answer but at 380hp they quoted £459, if I up it to 400hp it goes up to £569.

I need to sort the insurance today and although they gave a fairly good quote I don't want to underestimate the hp but on the other hand there is no point in overstating it.

Thanks for any help

Rob

I'm not sure how they would check my hp if anything happened and guess that they would just check the mods and then look at the forums to get a guide, so that is what I'm doing :)

hmm, I'm not sure what they rate the bhp as, either fwhp or rwhp, I'll give them a ring and check. Looks like I may have to go up to the next level of cover, I'm pretty sure that with the age/mileage of the car that it wouldn't hit over 380 but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

Guess I'd better give them a ring :( I would rather err on the side of caution but don't want to waste money. They didn't tell me how they wanted the hp worked out so looks to be a grey area, as I doubt 350 at the wheels would be possible in an auto bpu. unless I understand how we work it out.

Glad I'm not in the Usa as mine would be 750hp and would be very expensive :)

I think it would be OK to estimate it at just under 400bhp (but you'd probably need to check the rwhp or fwhp query). As tericky-ricky said it's notoriously difficult to measure accurately, and you're doing your best to do so. It's people estimating their BPU TT car as 300bhp that they'd have an issue with.

LOL, thanks for the advice, its 20% more added to the premium to go from 380-400hp although that may well put me in the next bracket which could be 400-500hp I'll give them a ring and clarify whether its at the wheel hp and how they bracket the hp

I guess they will use these forums as a reference. If everyone could underestimate their bhp over the coming months it would save me a lot of money.

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

LOL, thanks for the advice, its 20% more added to the premium to go from 380-400hp although that may well put me in the next bracket which could be 400-500hp I'll give them a ring and clarify whether its at the wheel hp and how they bracket the hp

I guess they will use these forums as a reference. If everyone could underestimate their bhp over the coming months it would save me a lot of money.

I've heard you don't go above 1 bar as you're scared though. You'd be less than 400 then :)

I would tell them you estimate it at 380 and let them worry about it. It's not as if they can dyno it after it's been stolen or binned..!!

A dedicated forum to the marque can't agree on the BHP figure so the insurance has no chance.

H.

:D I'm thinking of going the 399hp route as the premium should be the same