The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crash test: supra vs civic

JasonR24

Hi guys. Just thought is share my amazement with you after having a front end shunt into a friends Honda civic. I have been using my supra as an everyday driver for over a month now and it had been going well. Iv accepted the cost of fuel as I love the car so much! Anyway my lack of experience and skill caught up with me when I failed to stop and had a slow speed impact. I expected the worst initially, as I reversed my car out his rear was basically a write off. Boot doesn't shut or anything. Looked at mine and saw a minimally cracked front bumper and my drivers side wing and grill was ever so slightly bent. Literally hardly noticeable. I am so surprised at how much of a tank the supra is. Still gutted Iv got to pay out for my mates car and for my repairs though... Makes me wonder how cheaply built Hondas really are! And Iv owned many! anyone else had an impact that's similar?

It's worth remembering that for low-speed impacts, the structure of some cars (chassis etc) can be damaged but the car can appear to have very little damage because the flexible bits (bumpers mainly) deform then pop back into shape by themselves, usualy leaving just a crack or two in the bumper.

^:yeahthat:^

Personally I would still go and get it checked out by a garage.....if the damage to the civic was that bad, there is a reasonable chance that there could be underlying damage.

One of my mates hit a curb at 10mph in his R33 and cracked a wishbone.....so it doesn't take much. (Think it may have been weakened somehow previously mind)

Better to be safe than sorry

yea i will definitely mention it to the body shop and make sure they check out for chassis damage. also here are some pictures of the damage to mine:

Picture 038.jpg

Picture 039.jpg

i will try and get some pictures up of his as it is a right state...

tbh i wanted to put it into the body anyway as it needs to few bits doing to make it perfect. im aiming to stay basically stock, minus the exahust which sounds amazing, apart from body work just needs front leathers and supra emboised mats to be complete :cool: