The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my oil leak

ashbuster

thats a drip mate circled i red

im not sure how everyone does this but i carnt get that oil filter from underneath

i dont know if its just my oilfilter or if its the seal form the housing too

if i carnt find a way to get to it i would have to call a mechanic, what would be the usual price for this?

lol

i have a feeling its not just the filter but the housing too that connects it to the engine

isnt the a seal in there too? i think thats gone too but may aswell change it at the same time anyway

i think i can get the filter off and changed from the top easy enough but what about the housing i have no chance

do you guys remove all the parts from above it and do it that way because i dont see how i can get from underneath

i have a filter here ready i just need oil but will need seals too

From memory that nut left of the rightmost red circle holds the whole oil filter housing on. There is at least one rubber coolant hose going into it horizontally from the rear and the undoing the hose clips was a pita. If i remember rightly underneath there is a little bracing piece on/near the subframe that can be undone and gives you a bit more access to get your hands/tools in.

I would go and get some 'gunk' or similar and have a really good clean up with hot water so you know 100% the source or the problem. Access is fiddly so you want to get it right first time and you'll want it clean afterwards anyway to check all is well.

Just take the throttle body and inlet manifold off, it may seem like more work but it will probably be quicker and definatley make the job easier. I also replaced the manifold gaskets as everything was off. I even took the runners off and replaced that gasket as well you might as well to be honest the gaskets arnt expensive and then you know you shouldnt have to strip it down again.

Also there is an oil pressure sensor around that area that are prone to leaking and toyota changed the design of it slightly iirc so I changed that while I was there it was about £18 I think. But thats just me, maybe im too anal but thats what I would do anyway.

Chris

Edited by Parry_10 (see edit history)