The mkiv Supra Owners Club

500whp target... fuel setup questions.

RB-GTE

Hello everyone, I own a J-spec 97 TT 6-speed. This is the facelift of course but it has the non-VVTi motor just as I wanted.

I will be switching over to a single setup. I am trying to get this up and running within my budget or how much I'm willing to spend.

My goal originally was around 550-580rwhp. But to get this kind of power It looks like more modifications are required also the whole fuel system.

So I have decided to settle for 500rwhp which will be perfect for me. Especially since this is just going to be a daily driven street car.

If I just upgrade to USDM 550cc injectors + Upgraded fuel pump... can this support about 500whp in my J-spec car? I also will purschase some USDM cams since I assume J-spec can't handle that power?

I know the USDM 550cc injectors are a straight drop in along with a resistor box. Are there any other drop in injectors? maybe something around 600cc?

I just want to basically run the stock fuel system but upgrade the injectors and pump.

A lot of the factory Supra's that came with 550cc injectors, I have seen people making 500whp on pump gas on stock fuel system pretty easily.

As for the ECU. Will I just need a fuel controller? I have read that a small single is fine with stock ECU. But I was thinking of getting a MAP ECU to get a little control over the whole single setup?

cheers

Edited by RB-GTE (see edit history)

That would be perfect. Would be a struggle with the 550'c and would max them out. So that seems perfect.

How much can the stock system run by the way?.. If I can go for more power then I will, its just whatever I can achieve on the stock system as I only plan on upgrading injectors and pump.

thanks

Yes that's why I am only looking for 500whp... don't think I made that clear. Since at this point I don't want to upgrade the whole fuel system. I only want to change the Injecots and pump and call it a day. It looks like the stock fuel system should be able to flow about 500whp no problem. I've done a lot of reading over the last 2 days and I am seeing a lot of people running with these numbers on pump gas.

I checked the Sard 650cc Injectors are a bit pricey. For the price of those Injectors I could get a new fuel rail along with injectors. Because when I am upgrading the rest of the fuel system sometime in the future I would need to change the stock fuel rail correct? Is the fuel rail a direct swap or is more worked needed there?

thanks!

Without wishing to sound unkind but if you are thinking that the sard injectors are expensive then thinking of going single is going to be a huge shock to you when you start looking at what is needed to do it properly.

agree

PS: love the new avatar CJ.

Sorry if I made it sound that way but I know how much its going to cost. I already have made a shipping list for all the parts. Turbo setup and ECU piggyback. While the twins are off I'll also do a bit of service work.

In regards to the cost. What I meant is for the price of the SARD's I could pick up a set of Injectors, Fuel Rail, and some regulator to adjust fuel pressure. I've seen these kind of sets being offered.

If the SARD 650cc are the best choice I'll gladly go with those. I'll also look into the other ones posted above.

cheers

Why is that?

I reside in Canada at the moment where I have my Supra.

A lot of the owners even in the States just run some fuel controller or piggyback such as MAP ECU.

They never recommended to go with a full standalone if I'm only looking for 500whp on the stock fuel system? since it isn't necessary.

would like to hear why you guys think its a bad idea. I'm only doing reading and research now, I don't have experience with a single setup yet so excuse my noobness :)

Stock ecu development = $millions

Piggyback development = pennies.

Why skimp on the most important part, the hp makes no difference, you are changing injectors , turbo, etc it all needs controlling, if you want 500whp you have to go single or aftermarket twins so do it properly or not at all. I dont understand what you mean by stock fuel system, if you are changing the pump and injectors which part is stock.

Stock ecu development = $millions

Piggyback development = pennies.

Why skimp on the most important part, the hp makes no difference, you are changing injectors , turbo, etc it all needs controlling, if you want 500whp you have to go single or aftermarket twins so do it properly or not at all. I dont understand what you mean by stock fuel system, if you are changing the pump and injectors which part is stock.

Remember, 500whp is BPU though dude ;)