The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz powered Skyline R334 Custom Wide body

Guest Moddingdog

Guest Moddingdog

Well folks, I have been threatening to do it and promised myself I wouldn't start this thread until work began. Well work has begun so let's kick things off. I have always loved the looks of both the R33 and the R34 but particularly the front end of the R34. So why not combine the two and make a Wide arch kit at the same time. Now I am going for subtle instead of an aggressive wide arch. Also the body shop company I am using believes in doing things right, so the wider front wings, side skirts and rear wings will be custom made out of sheet metal, not fiberglass. Also I plan on a 2JZ GTE engine swap. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_0165.jpg

r334_wide_arch_conversion.jpg

Rear bumper purchased with a diffuser built in. Going to lose the sides and incorporate them into the rear wings as one piece.

r33_skyline_wide_rear.jpg

The original wheels fitted with 40mm spacers to use as a guide for the rear wings. I would like the spacers to removed at the end and a wheel large enough fitted instead.

r33_skyline_wide_rear_alloys.jpg

Edited by Moddingdog (see edit history)

Guest Moddingdog

We used a cardboard template just to see what shape we liked and how wide we needed to go.

r33_skyline_wide_rear_bumper.jpg

r33_gtst_wide_arch_start.jpg

Now the fun begins with the sheet metal fabrication. We need to split the rear wide arch wing into two halves and weld them together. As you can see we are keeping the original lines of the R33.

r33_wide_arch_rear_quarter.jpg

Guest Moddingdog

Here we have the side skirts fabricated yet again out of sheet steel and welded in place. The side skirts on the car were fitted so they over lap door sills and rubbed on the underside of the door. We have cured that by welding the side skirts flush with the body.

R334_skyline_sill_fabrication.jpg

Guest Moddingdog
Impressive, do you have this build covered somewhere else? I think I have read about it before?

Yes I have it on a few forums, very proud of it. Want to show the world!

Guest Moddingdog

Left hand side fabrication a mirror image of the right hand side. Some definite skills this body shop has.

r33_wide_arch_left_front.jpg

r33_wide_arch_left.jpg

Rear bumper trial fitted and suits the wide arch wings to a tee! Just needs filler work and shaping to match the wide arches.

r334_rear_bumper.jpg

Guest Moddingdog
Some significant sheet metal working skills on display there mate.

A few credits to the bodyshop when it's complete may be in order.

I'm sure they'll get a tonne of interest on here.

Someone just PM'd me asking who they are, wanting to know where they can get their body work done. I think once you find a place that you know produces the highest quality work and somebody you can trust, you want go anywhere else. I drove 100 miles to drop off the car, when I am sure there are plenty other capable places near me.

Guest Moddingdog
Asleigh is off today but lexus mounts are being mentioned.

Just got a reply from Asleigh, he completely custom fabricated the subframe to match the engine. I think that some mounts could be made on their own without that much work, a bit of overkill for my project. See what the body shop says.

Edited by Moddingdog (see edit history)

Guest Moddingdog
This is looking amazing dude, and them guys at the work shop are very talented.

where abouts in the midlands are you?

I am in Telford area but the body shop is in Tottenham, London.

Guest Moddingdog
Great work on the all steel wide body, is this a road or drift car?

Fast road mate, think she isn't going to be set up for drifting. However! you never know!