The mkiv Supra Owners Club

i require some v8 conversion information

supraturbochris

Hello everyone,

Right picking my new supra up saturday morning if all goes well.

This week the v8 engine has been pretty much fully stripped down, cleaned and ready to go back together with all new gaskets, belts and then paint.

I have been pricing everything up for this conversion, everything i am doing myself so labour is no issue. I am doing a 5 speed manual conversion with the install.

When i got the engine, i got the r154 manual gearbox at the same time. All looks pretty good tbh.

I have now sourced a mk3 supra turbo prop shaft (cheers clay) ;)

I already have the auto bell housing of the old gearbox ready to go on the manual box, but need an adapter to fit. I have been in contact with thor racing about this and they charge £250 plus vat, just wondering if i can get it any cheaper elsewhere?

Now the bit that confuses me the most. . . . Clutch and flywheel. Now i have been told that a toyota mr2 turbo flywheel and clutch will be fine? I can get hold of a fast road clutch for a mr2 turbo quite cheap and kind of the same with the flywheel but i need to know what has to be done with the flywheel etc to make it fit?

Also the wiring loom from the lexus engine wiring to supra wiring, could someone shed some light on where the wires all connect up too? Sounds stupid, am im ok with wiring etc but never have i done a conversion like this.

Cheers for reading and any info would be great. :)

chris

Guest Moddingdog

Which V8 you putting in mate? An LS1 buy any chance? Just sold my Chevy Lumina 5.7L SS out here in Saudi, engine had done 240000km and sounded like new.

I suppose that is an easier conversion? Do they use the same gearbox as a Supra?
Easier because the Soarer and Supra crossmembers are exactly the same, but it's much more difficult to make 400bhp with a 1UZ. :) All V8s had automatic gearboxes, but, yes, it's the same 'box (bar some details) as an auto Supra.

Anyone know anything about the flywheel and clutch?

MR2 clutch won't fit the r154, different spline pattern. Also the mr2 flywheel does fit, but you need to slot the holes for the bolts to fit, far too dangerous for my liking. The last thing you want is a flywheel with teeth coming off right below your knees. Ryang has the 6 speed flywheel for sale, a tt6 clutch would bolt straight to it. This is a far cheaper option in the longer run, and if I hadn't already faffed on with mine, I would have bought this.

I would get in touch with thor about their flywheels and clutches, going to be very expensive though.

The ks racing ones on ebay are absolute shiz, don't fit and need so much modification, it's cheaper to get one custom made (which I ended up doing), hence my custom bellhousing, flywheel, release mechanism and clutch. I also needed to strip the gearbox down and shorten the input shaft as its too long. A w58 or v160 is a far easier conversion to do (and cheaper, my r154 conversion has cost nearly 2.5k). Don't forget you will need the shifter extended (another 150 quid), a r154 electronic speedo sensor (£300 from toyota), a hydro throwout bearing (another 200 + machining costs).

As for the wiring, I make adapter looms that plug and play. Drop me a PM if interested.

Ben

I have a TT6 manual flywheel ill sell you Chris? then you could use a 6 speed clutch

A stock one wont fit, ryan had a custom one made with the 1uz bolt pattern and ring gear cut into it.