The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newie from maidstone kent

Chris6t9

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i had a little look around last night at a few on pistonheads and theres not really any that stand out just yet, im a little picky so might take me a while to find the right one. Ive got up to about 12k to spend on one so ideally it has to be immaculate inside and out! :p

Nice mitch my dad used to have one when i was younger and shit me up in it and iv liked them ever since :). Im not really fussed if its na or not, just needs to be clean and the bodywork cant be too overboard like some people do if they have changed it.

I quite like this, but i think the price it too high for what its has to offer, unless the mileage is very low, but it doesnt state mileage on there.

What do you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203443040900/sort/priceasc/usedcars/colour/white/model/supra/make/toyota/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/me171qe?logcode=p

Ah ok i heard that the ones in japan are 280 and the others are 320 or is that just the limiter that they put on over there?

Cheers for the info rob :)

No limiter, they were all 320hp when released they just stated that they were less in Japan as they had made an agreement. They are all the same power.

You may be better off doing a few searches on google and on here before you buy to get as much info as possible, it is easy to get ripped off if you don't do some research and take someone with you that knows their stuff.

nine and a half grand is about right for a TT mate. Again, depending on mileage, you may be able to find one with less mileage for about the same price. Dont rush in and buy one, make sure you have a look at a few first and take your time. No point buying one and later wishing you bought a different one. For £12k you could get a good clean TT6

I would definitely spend more time on here reading the FAQs and guides before you go jumping in the deep end. Check insurance and check that you are happy with the running costs etc. There is a massive difference between insuring a UK spec Supra and insuring a J-Spec Supra. Also when getting quotes a lot of insurance companies will mis-quote on Jspecs as the DVLA information is often sketchy at best. Be 100% sure that when you get a quote it is for the spec of supra that you have and that it is definitely for a MKIV model. Often you will hear of silly low quotes which, after investigation, it turns out the company has been either quoting a price based on a UK spec Supra rather than import, or the quote is based on a MKIII rather than a MKIV.

Do lots and lots of reading, find out as much as you can. Read the technical section to get an idea of what issues crop up the most, that will give you an idea of what to check and what to ask. These cars are VERY expensive to put right in a LOT of circumstances so be sure you know exactly what you are buying before you part with the cash.

Other than that £12k will get you an absolutely MINT 6spd TT. A facelift would be easily within your grasp if you fancied that. If you decide on a pre-facelift you could probably pocket a couple of K for mods and get a tasty one for around £10k. Be warned that if a car appears to be too cheap, it's often for a reason. Autotrader and pistonheads aren't the best place to be shopping for mint examples but don't trust that the ones on here are either.

Oh, and welcome :)

Cheers scott, i have used a few comparison sites and ticked the Jimport box, im geting quotes on 1.6k so far which i can deal with. Ill read as much as possible over the next few days and make sure im on it before i buy :)

I wouldn't touch comparison sites with a bargepole. They quote me 2k+ all the time when my last insurance policy was £430 lol.

£1600 is fairly cheap for your age though, just make sure everything is above board. The last thing you want is something to happen to the car and they then fleece you for not giving them the correct info.

I wouldn't touch comparison sites with a bargepole. They quote me 2k+ all the time when my last insurance policy was £430 lol.

£1600 is fairly cheap for your age though, just make sure everything is above board. The last thing you want is something to happen to the car and they then fleece you for not giving them the correct info.

Ill probably call them just to make sure. The only thing it cant have is engine mods or none of the insurance companies will insure me apart for a few which quote me 10k!

Ill probably call them just to make sure. The only thing it cant have is engine mods or none of the insurance companies will insure me apart for a few which quote me 10k!

Ahh, that'll explain it. I always automatically assume that everyone will be going for BPU :D