The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Diffs and their Driveshafts

TheTurtleshead

What driveshafts exactly will fit with a big UK differential? I am led to believe by various threads on the subject that you need a shorter driveshaft on one side to account for the size of the diff. However, Hodge tells me that his big case diff fitted straight into his pre facelift N/A Auto J-spec Aerotop?! :blink: So the question is, what exactly will work? My car was originally an N/A Auto J-spec Aerotop, the same as Hodge's. I have been googling for an hour and cannot find another reference of a big case just fitting.

I have but im not selling though incase i break one, try toyota, they cant be that much money.

Can't they? ;) I think you'd be surprised...

VERY bad to use the longer shaft, the joints will be at full plunge and they won't like it one bit. It could even break a joint or knacker something. Needs the correct (short) shaft.

IIRC if you have non-ABS hubs the driveshafts fit perfectly but if you have an auto with ABS hubs then 1 of the driveshafts need changing. This is what I experienced when I did mine. I lay both hub and driveshafts together and assembled they were the same length but separately 1 driveshaft was bigger than the other slightly.

I hear ya' Chris :) I want it to be 100% right! Apparently about $250 dollars, not sure what they will be here in the UK.

Haven't got a second hand one have you chris? :D

If you can print off Jos's post from the other thread, take a wander over to mine, as I "may" have a pair of driveshafts in my possession that are of unequal length! Oh, won't be doing the car for a couple of weeks, have just witnessed blowing a robot up, and now having to sort out the aftermath!