The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem identification needed , aux belt tensioner?

ripped_fear

Hey guys

I have owned my supra for nearly two years now, and since purchase I have had a little rattle on very low idle and have never got around to it being fixed.

I think its the aux belt tensioner and was hoping that I could get some confirmation on this as i'm trying to get everything done on the car before dragonball, and it something that I need to get done anyway, and don't fancy buying one if it is a different issue.

I have taken some video of the problem to help.

In the first the car is off and if pressure is applied to the belt, a creek comes from the tensioner area, also this occurs on low idle/ beginning of a rev as shown in the other video.

In the second vid you can hear the camera rattling on the battery, but if you listen you can hear what in talking about :)

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

It certainly sounds like the tensioner is up to something, it's the only component there thats spring loaded which would explain the click when extra tension is applied to the belt and then again when it is released.

Using a 14mm socket and bar (safest option) or a decent spanner on the bolt head in the middle of the tensioner wheel release the tension from the belt and take it of the tensioner. Then move the tensioner through its complete sweep and see if the click is still there. If it is you know you are on the right track and it's a problem with the spring/housing and not the tensioner pulley itself.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

It certainly sounds like the tensioner is up to something, it's the only component there thats spring loaded which would explain the click when extra tension is applied to the belt and then again when it is released.

Using a 14mm socket and bar (safest option) or a decent spanner on the bolt head in the middle of the tensioner wheel release the tension from the belt and take it of the tensioner. Then move the tensioner through its complete sweep and see if the click is still there. If it is you know you are on the right track and it's a problem with the spring/housing and not the tensioner pulley itself.

Thanks dude i will get my hands dirty asap and give it a shot and see if it does still click.

If only we had a section for technical issues... :)

Does sound like your tensioner, when was the aux belt replaced? Does the noise go away after the car's warmed up for quite a while?

:innocent: Oops just seen I put this in the wrong section, Must not have been paying attention last night when posting.

The aux tensioner as far as i can see has never been changed, unless it was done when it was in Japan, but when looking through the heaps of history no sign of it being replaced can been seen so may be best to just replace it either way.

When the Car is warm it only does it when the revs drop, but when driving no sound is made even when cold.

• 2 months later...