The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Scamming

Clarkey

Everyone knows of these 2nd car sale scams that go on. A guy at work received a mail from someone in "Nigeria" interested in his MG roadster advertised in Autotrader.

The mail said something like: "I want to buy your car. I have sent a bankers cheque of £10K. Please can you ship the car using this shipping company."

My friend at work, said "No - not interested" - but then his gf saw the mail - unaware of the scam - and replied to the mail. A cheque of £10K was received a couple of days ago. But because my friend has refused to "bank" the so-called cheque.

He is now getting death-threats!!! He got numerous emails saying

"Give us our money" -

ummm, wasn't the money supposed to go to shipping company ?

"Or We are going to kill you."

We were at breakfast today & he was telling us that when he rang the Police they just put him on hold and eventually he routed him to the narcotics dept - they routed him somewhere else & then cut him off! The police apparently - don't appear to be doing anything.

They only thing the police didn't do was have Kylie Minogue playing while he was on hold.

DON'T do that, because the cheque WILL CLEAR!!!!

But it's not real money, there's a loophole in international banking that these people know about that about 6 months after it's 'cleared' the Nigerian bank turn around and say there's no money in this account, and your bank have EVERY RIGHT to get the money off you!!!!!!

DO NOT accept foreign cheques for a car or large amount of money EVER!!!!

That's right ... that's why my friend has refused to bank the cheque. The cheque is probably a fake or stolen, so it will clear, the person sends off the cash to the shipping company (setup by the buyer) ... then the bank will withdraw the funds - few days later. The buyer will be "shipping fee" better off .. & the seller will have lost cash on the shipping fee.

What people in their right mind offer £10K for a car that they've never physically seen ?

I always thought that once the bank approved it as cleared funds (by talking to the issuing bank) then it was ok given that the bank have put it in your account to spend

I stand corrected (and suprised), kind of defeats the entire object of a cheque

In which case point two still applies :)

It won't, so just ignore it and the emails, the little man in the internet cafe in Nigeria will get bored soon and move on to someone else

Guest steviejay01

Daves right, its a load of bollox, its been going on for years.

If the cheque clears then do the deal if it dont then fuck it.

Its a scam that going on all the time now, its nothing new, they aint gonna kill him for christ sakes, the cheque aint even real, its forged, they all are!!!

They just want to try and shit him/her up, just tell them to forget about it and get on with their life, police dont want to know cuz they already know the scam and cant be arsed to do all the paperwork when its not even gonna come to anything.

I put my car up for sale and got this scam 3 times!!! (all from people working in africa on buisness)

On my bike I got 2 of em too........OLD NEWS move on, tell them not to worry about it and just tell the tosser sending the threats to fuck off cuz you already spent the cash on crack cocaine and a holiday in Cuba.

I had a similar offer from a doctor in foreign land somewhere offer me the same sort of deal for a car on ebay i had.

Wonder if you could scam it back again. Go to an out of town internet Cafe setup an ebay account selling a ficticious vehicle with the reserve set ridiculously high, when you get the mail from Doctor clever pants in wherever take the cheque bank it in a specifically set up account (how hard can it be to setup a bank account in a different address?) bank the cheque withdraw the funds and foxtrot oscar. If the scammers can do it then surely anyone with half a brain and a bit of will power could turn the tables on them?

Wonder if you could scam it back again. Go to an out of town internet Cafe setup an ebay account selling a ficticious vehicle with the reserve set ridiculously high, when you get the mail from Doctor clever pants in wherever take the cheque bank it in a specifically set up account (how hard can it be to setup a bank account in a different address?) bank the cheque withdraw the funds and foxtrot oscar. If the scammers can do it then surely anyone with half a brain and a bit of will power could turn the tables on them?

That's prcisely what I was thinking, it's quite easy to set up a basic bank account. Once you've banked the cheque and the funds clear you just withdraw the cash and close the account, unless you want to keep the account to 5crew them again!!:innocent:

Originally posted by dangerous brain

The version of this i had heard was that the money did clear but the bank came looking for it afterwards. That was how they got people to ship their vehicles in the first place as it takes a special kind of stupid to ship a car without funds allready cleared.

There are stupid people everywhere, thats why these guys still send these 419 scams round, it only takes one idiot in 1000 people to make it worth their while

No it's nothing to do with the funds clearing, THEY WILL CLEAR.

It's likely that the cheque is from another scammed person who has given out their bank details for a bank transfer that never happened (I was asked for my bank details before from someone in Australia).

Then a fake chequebook is created with the bank details and the money clears.

The real owner then comes back (sometimes several months later) and gets his money back because it's discovered he didn't sign the cheque, and the bank can take it back off of you!!!!!

Guest steviejay01

Here ya go, this motherfucker mailed me last night about my bike.

The mail is none spesfic, he's mailing me regarding the "ITEM" ???

WTF??

IMPORTANT. PLEASE SEE THE WARNINGS AT THE FOOT OF THIS E-MAIL.

You have a response to your ad at FastRoadAndTrack.co.uk:

Name: Dr Asuca

Telephone nil

Fax: nil

Email: [email protected]

Sent the following message:

Goodday,

How are you doing today,I saw your Advert regarding the (ITEM) you have

for sale which i am very much intrested in purchasing,So i will want you to try

and get back to me with the Following Informations below which i think are

Important before going ahead with the Transation :

1.. THE ASKING PRICE FOR THE SAID ITEM:...........

2.. THE PRESENT CONDITION OF THE SAID ITEM:.......

3.. THE PICTURES FOR THE SAID ITEM:...............

So with this i want you to know that the Mode of Payment will a Cashier\'s

Cheque that is drawn from United Kingdom Bank,Also i will carter for Shipping,

So Shipping should not be of any problem.Iwill now appreciate if you get back to

me asap with an Answers to the Question i have asked and also if the Said Item

is still for sale. I will now hope to hear from you soonest.

Thanks,

Dr Asuca................