The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stranded on M1 near leicester :(

Guest rwd

hi guys.

stuck on m1 near leictester, flat battery :( i put a new battery today thinking my old battery had given way but problems seems more serious. new battery has now given way as well and the car wouldnt turn :( a van driver was kind enough to help me jump start but even though i started seeing signs of power after 3/4minutes of jump leands being connected, it seemed like power was being drained again as it wont even turn :(

i had a subwoofer running while i was driving. could it mean that the alternator has gone ??

oh and on the side note...........thanks a lot for the AA van who was parkeda few cars away from me but wouldnt jump start my car as im not a memberwith them :( :( :(

hi guys.

stuck on m1 near leictester, flat battery :( i put a new battery today thinking my old battery had given way but problems seems more serious. new battery has now given way as well and the car wouldnt turn :( a van driver was kind enough to help me jump start but even though i started seeing signs of power after 3/4minutes of jump leands being connected, it seemed like power was being drained again as it wont even turn :(

i had a subwoofer running while i was driving. could it mean that the alternator has gone ??

oh and on the side note...........thanks a lot for the AA van who was parkeda few cars away from me but wouldnt jump start my car as im not a memberwith them :( :( :(

Sums up some people.... If I saw your house being robbed sadly I couldn't help as I am not listed with any neighbourhood watch programme either.

Alternator for sure or leads are rotten to it.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.729088,11.786111

that's what i'm thinking as well. is it simply a case of subwoofer/amp, headlights, tail lights, fan, dash lights etc taking up power and alternator not charging the battery or could there be something else is draining power?

isit the smoking bbq grill lookalike sign/light next to the battery sign ? if yes, then that light keeps popping up every now and then, especially when i flick to high beam, press brake, basically....if i consume any more electric power.....

isit the smoking bbq grill lookalike sign/light next to the battery sign ? if yes, then that light keeps popping up every now and then, especially when i flick to high beam, press brake, basically....if i consume any more electric power.....

That's is the catylitic converter over heating. You might have a dodgey earth or contact causing the electrical drain.

That's is the catylitic converter over heating. You might have a dodgey earth or contact causing the electrical drain.

now that would take some tinkering by someone experienced to locate it if it was to be the case :(

any idea how to find it out?

IIRC the lead goes from battery + to alternator and splits and goes on to startermotor. If the car cranks i doubt there would be an issue with the ground.

The battery light dont always light when the alternator is not function. If the carbon conector (dont know the english Word for that part sure someone can fill in) is worn it dont have to light.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.729180,11.786145

that's what i'm thinking as well. is it simply a case of subwoofer/amp, headlights, tail lights, fan, dash lights etc taking up power and alternator not charging the battery or could there be something else is draining power?

If the alternator is toasted or gives verry Low charging surely using a sub would not help.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.729210,11.786153

If one of the diodes is fried inthe bridge rectifier it will still charge but half wave, or if theslip ring carbon bushes are badly worn the centre magnet sections won't be energised, if a diode has failed shorted then it will drain the battery

It might be worth running a jump lead from the alternator earth to the neg battery terminal and see if that gives charge

If you turn on all your lights ect you can usually hear the engine comeunder load slightly if thealternator isworking properly

Check the alternator earth is good,

update: 2and half hours and counting still waiting on national rescue to turn up

i'vnoticed something funny.............when the battery was dead flat, the key fob wont work and car wont lock. but i tried to do it after an hour or so and key works fine and when i turn the key, i hear the sound "tiktiktiktiktiktiktik.........", so in a way....the charge has somehow improved over the time :S in my opinion...this wont be the case if there was something draining the battery.............on the other hand, i only bought the new battery earlier today!

also worth mentioning.......the car started losing power as i was driving into the services, lights started to fade and then.....lights out and it wont do anything until i connected it via jump leads to another car's battery

I'd try cleaning and securing the ground connectors and battery terminals first, if that doesn't fix it then could be the alternator.

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/manual/route/95elec_034.jpghttp://www.internetwork.org.uk/manual/route/95elec_032.jpg