The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone got a trailer I can borrow?

Jay

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a trailer that will fit a wide-arch Supra onto it (not that wide, TRD widebody).

My cars all finished but it's not going to be registered until next week and I am sick of waiting, so I want to go and collect it ASAP.

I have a Mitsi Warrior with tow-bar, so just need to borrow/hire the trailer.

As per my previous thread - if the owner of the trailer knows a bit about soops and fancies coming for a trip down south, their time will be both appreciated and rewarded!

Cheers,

Jay

Originally posted by Jay

Scratch that, you need some stipulation on your driving license to allow for towing

Do you? Since when?

By the way, I see loads of unregistered freshly imported Jap cars driving from Southampton Docks. I think it's legal under certain circumstances. Might be worth looking into.

I spoke to a trailer hire company who told me that you need a 'B+E' on your driving license under categories in order to hire their trailer.

From the DVLA website it says:

Cars (B)

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

Cars with trailers (B+E)

Combinations of vehicles consisting of a vehicle in category B and a trailer, where the combination does not come within category B.

Cryptic as ever...

I read that as meaning that as long as the unladen weight of the trailer + towing vehicle is not more than 3500kg, and the trailer doesnt weigh more than the towing vehicle then you are ok?

Must be one hell of a trailer they want to hire to me!

I passed after 1997 and definately only have 'B' on my license.

The warrior weighs 1765kg so either they have a bloody heavy trailer or they aren't correct. Perhaps they are used to having people enquire about pulling these things with Seicento's or something??

The rules are further complicated by braked and unbraked trailers. With the weight of the supe on the trailer even in a warrior you ought to have a braked trailer or you may find the thing overtaking you when you try and slow down. AFAIK after a certain year (probably 1997 as suggested above) alot of things that were on a standard driving license on initial issue came off. Amount of passengers you can carry in a mini-bus and size o trailer you could tow were two of these things. Your local BSM school should be able to advise you what you are qualified to drive and also give you an idea on course costs to pass the other bits to put on your license.

There are haulage firms around that will transport your baby to you from Southampton and if you go through the yellow pages you will probably find a recovery firm that will do the same. If you book a local one you can go down with him. Have a look at the car and most recovery guys are fairly tech capable and will be able to do a general check over of the car. In all probability it won't cost any more than the hire of a decent trailer and your fuel money anyway.