The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ Project, Tips and Advice Most Welcome.

kraig

Hi Guys,

Had the Supra for around a month now (NA/Man), and i think that is long enough to be without power, lol. Fairly quiet at garage at the moment, so perfect time to rip apart the old soarer auto i had lying around. Anyway engine is now out, I have the complete loom, as far as the fuse box and the plugs in the passenger footwell (pictured), AT ECU, Throttle Cable. Anything else anyone can think of needing before i send the shell to scrap, dont want to scrap it then have to try and find parts later. Also can anyone who has done the swap tell me what they done with the wiring for the Auto transmission, because as far as i can see the W58 only has one plug! Am i correct in thinking that the Fuse Boxes are the same, and the 1JZ loom should just plug into the Supra Fuse Box? Sorry for all the questions, as i say i'd be kicking myself if i sent the car to scrap and found out i needed something else afterwards!

SAM_1776 (1024x768).jpg

SAM_1777 (1024x768).jpg

SAM_1779 (1024x768).jpg

There is an old guide in Tech that Dude posted AFAIK that covers the wiring on an auto to 6 speed transmission which I followed when doing my 1JZ conversion, it worked a treat.

I spliced the 1JZ's engine loom into the NA's body wiring so I can't confirm the fuse box similarities, they should be the same but you can compare them yourself. You shouldn't need to swap the fuse boxes anyway, but I'm running almost no accessories so I could be mistaken on that.

You will need to adapt the 1J's body wiring to suit the NA's plugs by either fitting the NA plugs to the 1J wiring (as I and most others did) or making an adaptor to go from 1J to NA.

This is the best pinout guide I could find to the JZZ30's body plugs, you'll need this to compare to the NA's body plug pinout (available in Tech) to adapt the wiring.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?254441-JZZ30-1JZ-Harness-Plugs

Below are my (terrible) notes on what wires to join, bear in mind I'm running a track car so all I needed were the basics. You'll need to delve a little deeper in order to get the luxuries up & running but these should help get you rolling. My car started first flick of the key after doing the swap, all guages and warning lights worked except for the alternator which turned out to be a wire I overlooked in the move to the NA's plugs. I noted it in another thread, I think it was the track car owners discussion thread.

Edit: Found the comment.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?248972-forum-owned-track-supras-register-and-chat-thread&p=3229345&viewfull=1#post3229345

img011.jpg

img012.jpg

img013.jpg

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Superb Pedro, cracking info, how do you find the 1jz anyway is it a 6 speed your running?

No mate I'm still on a W58 for now, I rebuilt mine after I minced the output shaft while the non-turbo lump was still bolted to it so I said I'd see how it coped before I went for an R154.

I haven't had the car out on track yet since I finished the swap before christmas. I've an appointment with a dyno on the 3rd of March but because the car isn't road legal the opportunities for testing are few and far between.

You'll have to update when you find out what power shes making! Don't think mine will be finished by then, you'll know what its like waiting for parts coming etc, could work away sorting the wiring and putting it straight in, but its a lot easier if you have the engine sitting out in front of you. Just looked through your notes that you wrote, you might be making things too easy for me,lol, were all the notes right if you remember its a great head start if it is, been googling for the past week or so trying to get some decent (English!) diagrams but almost everything i have found has been written in these mad squiggles:d!

I'll have to check the actual wiring to see what I did with pins 1 & 9 on the grey plug (both 12v+) but the rest of it is definitely as I wired it. I can verify any of them that you can't make out or that look like I have a couple of options beside.

But all you need do is ask if you are in doubt, surround yourself with as much information as possible before you cut a single wire and you'll do ok. Get as many pinouts for both cars as you can, including ECU pinouts. I found them helpful to verify the function of a particular wire if the information was a bit vague elsewhere.

The actual body plug swap took me less than three hours to do when I finally had all I needed in front of me.

Well waiting for bits coming through for the 1jz lump, and since its 'Saturday thought it would be the perfect opportunity to whip out the 2JZ-GE and gearbox,

Goodbye NA:d

engineout.jpg

Predicament i have now is what clutch setup to go for with the W58, and is it worth going for a light flywheel at the same time. Will be running stock twins at the moment BPU spec. Will be going Single in the future, but hoping to find an R154 before then, so not looking for something mad clutch wise, anyone got any suggestions?

I think Competition Clutches do a W58 clutch kit that can handle the extra torque. Paul Whiffin would be the man to speak to about those.

I think Chris Wilson may offer an OEM kit with uprated pressure plate for more clamping force but you'd need to ring or email him to confirm.

I myself have a Spec stage 3 clutch with a 6 puck friction plate and a Fidanza aluminium flywheel. The setup worked fine with the NA engine but I haven't put it through its paces with the 1JZ yet so I can't recommend or renounce it until I do.

I have a stage 4 competition cluth and lightweight flywheel on my w58, it improved shifts when it was NA alot. Now I'm boosted it pulls well under a hammering. I try not to hammer the gear shifts as I know the w58 isn't the strongest, but she has had a number of hard shifts and not had any problems.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Well waiting for bits coming through for the 1jz lump, and since its 'Saturday thought it would be the perfect opportunity to whip out the 2JZ-GE and gearbox,

Goodbye NA:d

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146433[/ATTACH]

Predicament i have now is what clutch setup to go for with the W58, and is it worth going for a light flywheel at the same time. Will be running stock twins at the moment BPU spec. Will be going Single in the future, but hoping to find an R154 before then, so not looking for something mad clutch wise, anyone got any suggestions?

I love the irony with these cars that you would expect the engine to be worth a few quid when in reality it would probably cost more to get a panel filter and gearshift bushes kit :D

Well i think i may have made a bit of a big mistake last night, never read up about eBay clutch kits and went away and bought this setup;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160714169666?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2649#ht_2631wt_1087

Cant see it being up to much but its cheap, and the long term plan is to get an R154 so the clutch kit and fly would be out the window anyway.

Please try not to laugh too much,lol, we all make mistakes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Pedro,

Decided I want this finished now, not had a chance the last few weeks. Any chance you could double check pins 1 & 9 on yours? I think i've got the rest of it sorted, im thinking that pin 1 would go to pin 3 (IJ1) and pin 9 would go to pin 7 (IJ1)? Don't know if you used these or have seen them but i found them pretty handy;

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/41678224/2JZ-GE%20JZA80%20Supra

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/47216384/1JZ-GTE%20JZZ30%20Soarer

Hey Kraig.

Looking at the wiring in the car and at the descriptions I do believe thats exactly how I wired them in. If it makes you feel any easier about it I also came to the conclusion when I wired my own that its not possible to wire them incorrectly as the 1JZ black/orange wires both require 12v from the ignition which is supplied from both pin 1 & 9 on the NA grey plug.

Keep up the good work dude, you're almost there!

Cheers Pedro.

Fitted the Inlet Manifold and loom today, plug in all the sensors, and put oil in the engine, the result;

:D can see me getting somewhere now, and after a lack of enthusiasm the past few weeks (its sat untouched for a good few weeks now), I think im going to work to get this out on the road by the end of the week!

Feel im getting somewhere now, really looking forward to getting it out to play :), its probably been sitting now for close to 3 months, i have to admit its a nice feeling when you turn the key for the first time and it just works,lol.

Another quick question, I know yours is track setup so AC has been binned i take it? If so are you still running Power Steering? What I need to know is what you use if anything for the support for the PS pump?

There is a brace from the back of the pump to the block, whether it came with the 1JZ or I found something lying around that worked I'm not too sure.

There is also a factory brace from the front of the PS pump to the AC pump that I think I repositioned to go from the PS pump to the block or used some kind of spacer to make up for the loss of the AC pump.

Got the top brace, just was unsure of the bottom.

Will get a good look tomorrow when i start dealing with the ancillaries.

If needs be i'll hack the ac pump to bits and use what i need from that.

Will get pics/vids up as the week progresses!

Yes its similar to that one, although to be honest im going to have to do some custom work to make it fit properly. The MK3 supra's Y pipe comes down at a sharper angle, If It continued down it would be coming through the drivers floor, so need to make up roughly a 6" straight piece which will bring the angle back to fit to the MK4 exhaust system. So from that kit its only the Y Piece thats being used, the other piece will need hacked to fit! I would expect it should make a difference when done, definitely looks better than the stock Y :D