The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon canister size

Digsy

This is a bit annoying considering I have a Supra sat at home that I could measure, but I need to know the size of the carbon canister today. Would it be possible for someone to do a very rough sketch with the main depth, width and height dimensions, and also the approx radii on the corners because from memory its kind of bathub shaped (shows how long its been since I opened the bonnet!) Basically I need to work out the physical volume of one as accurately as possible to estimate the amount of carbon inside.

This is for a work thing so I'll be very grateful if someone can help out today (please :) )

Edited by Digsy
To add the magic word. (see edit history)

From the physical size you can work out the amount of carbon inside. From the amount of carbon you can work out the amoutn of vapour it can absorb and then compare that to a calculation based on the fuel tank size to see if the canister is big enough.

I'm benchmarking carbon canisters from vehicles of different ages to see how the trend in size develops as emissions regs change, and also to see how closely the calculation reflects what is used in production.

In the nicest possible way, it sounds like you should get out more!

Lol.

Unfortunately, sometimes this is what designing engines for OEMs is like. However I suspect that a 2Fast2Furious style bikini party is being held right outside the ride and handling department as I type this.

Digsy, the rough dimensions are:

Width: 130mm

Depth: 100mm

Height: 170mm

Corners are radiused to approximately 25mm

One bottom corner has been flattened to allow fitting. The chamfer extends from one corner to approximately half way down the opposite side. And extends about 75mm up the side of the canister.

Canister.jpg

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)