The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello -1999 supra vvti or not from factory?

Guest Radio Caroline

Guest Radio Caroline

Hi guys

Nice site you have here. Had a look around for info I need but cannot seem to find it.

I am looking to buy a 1999 Supra turbo. Its not fitted with a vvti motor. Is this how they come from japan or was all 1999s on vvti?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

RC

Welcome to the club, from 1997 onwards they where fitted with vvti 2jz's.

If the car you are looking at doesn't have it, that would suggest it has had a new TT lump put in it at some point. Maybe it started life as an N/A or it blew its old motor. Or it was swapped out for easier modification to the engine.

Hi guys

Nice site you have here. Had a look around for info I need but cannot seem to find it.

I am looking to buy a 1999 Supra turbo. Its not fitted with a vvti motor. Is this how they come from japan or was all 1999s on vvti?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

RC

Could it be that it is an earlier Import and only brought into this country in 1999?

Most 97 cars didn't have vvti. Some did.

Some 98 cars didn't have vvti. Most did.

I'd imaging all 99 cars would do. But it doesn't really matter. The none vvti is easier to tune and has more easily available bits :)

It should be easy to check. But I'm not sure if the vin details will tell you

Is it an auto? I think all vvti autos were tiptronic. And the vvti/tip ecu were different as I think they are 16 bit rather than 8?

To convert a non vvti car to vvti is s bit of a wiring nightmare and not easy. So I'd imagine the other way arround is the same.

Could it be that it is an earlier Import and only brought into this country in 1999?

Could be this also. Then converted to a tt. If you get the details off the vin plate there is s calculator on here that will tell you when it was made. Engine type etc. Even what interior trim it should have :)

Or a picture. Interior and exterior. will be good enough to help us advise if it's 93-97 or 97-2002 car. There are headlight, indicators, Seats, dial cluster and other cosmetic changes aswell as mechanical