The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lubeing adjusters for geo setup

Neil-NA

These are the 2 eccentric adjusters on the front lower arms, im just looking to see if i have

any pics of the rears but the ones i've got dont really show the eccentric adjusters very well.

Heres the rear lower arm no 1 eccentric adjuster

Sorry i've not got any pics showing the rear lower arm no 2 adjuster or the lower

suspension bracket stay for the front

Theres good diagrams in the WSM in the suspension & axle section

DSCF0642.JPG

DSCF0651.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

On the front bottom wishbones there are 2 bolts that connect the lower wishbone to the subframe. The bolts will have washer attached to them with some marks on them. Lube these on the nut side. And also on the front lower wishbone you will see that there a rod that goes from the wishbone on a angle to the rear part of the front subframe that should have two 14mm bolts. Give these a lube to as they need to undone and can snap of easily. On the rear it is much simpler. There will be two lower control arms with the same bolts with the same looking washer with the marks on them connecting them to the rear subframe. There is only four bolts in all on the rear so a bit easier than the front.

Hope this helps you out

Where are you getting the Geo setup done out of interest neil?

There a place in Boltion that i know a few people have used - http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/page/Wheel-Alignment/

These are the 2 eccentric adjusters on the front lower arms, im just looking to see if i have

any pics of the rears but the ones i've got dont really show the eccentric adjusters very well.

Heres the rear lower arm no 1 eccentric adjuster

Sorry i've not got any pics showing the rear lower arm no 2 adjuster or the lower

suspension bracket stay for the front

Theres good diagrams in the WSM in the suspension & axle section

On the front bottom wishbones there are 2 bolts that connect the lower wishbone to the subframe. The bolts will have washer attached to them with some marks on them. Lube these on the nut side. And also on the front lower wishbone you will see that there a rod that goes from the wishbone on a angle to the rear part of the front subframe that should have two 14mm bolts. Give these a lube to as they need to undone and can snap of easily. On the rear it is much simpler. There will be two lower control arms with the same bolts with the same looking washer with the marks on them connecting them to the rear subframe. There is only four bolts in all on the rear so a bit easier than the front.

Hope this helps you out

Thanks for the help guys :)

Good luck with getting these undone, i had to cut the offside front arm off on my car as the rear

of the 2 adjusters was seized solid and nothing would shift it.

I am hoping they will be all right, the car has only been in the UK 4 years and is relatively low mileage, but we shall see.

There a place in Boltion that i know a few people have used - http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/page/Wheel-Alignment/

Cheers Neil, was going to say, there is a guy in Leyland that I have been speaking to that does Geo setups, keep meaning to get mine in to him as he is only 5 minutes away from me, may be worth a look: http://www.grinspeed.co.uk/services.html

Thanks mate might have to look inot them as they do corner weighing too :)

He seems like a sound guy, does a LOT of WRC stuff. Seems very switched on. His name's Steve. He's off Golden Hill Lane in Leyland, near Berry's timer merchants if you know where they are? Only 5 mins off Junction 28 of the M6.

He seems like a sound guy, does a LOT of WRC stuff. Seems very switched on. His name's Steve. He's off Golden Hill Lane in Leyland, near Berry's timer merchants if you know where they are? Only 5 mins off Junction 28 of the M6.

I'm sure i will find it mate, might go down in the next week, he seems to have worked on some high profile cars and as you say lots of WRC stuff.

The problem is not the nut seizing to the bolt, it is the bolt seizing to the metal tube inside the rubber bush, no amount of lube will remedy this, some lube on the excentric adjuster will make it easier to turn as long as everything else is OK.

Exactly, I have cut many an arm off and them tried to press the cut off part of the bolt out of the bush on a 75 tonne press, and still it won't budge, it just mushrooms. UK cars are the worst of course, as they are often a bit like the Titanic underneath.

As said already its the actual shank of the eccentric adjuster that seizes inside the bush so its

very hard to free that off, it wont hurt trying though and will help the nut for sure.

If they are seized then they are a bitch and i binned mine and replaced the lot.

I think the issue is that they appear to be assembled free of any grease/copper slip

from the factory hence the problem.

Well mine didn't show any traces on them when i changed them.

Just loosen one adjuster nut at a time, after Tipex marking the cam positions. see if they will turn, both ways, through the full adjustment range. If they will, set them back to the marks and go for a geometry reset confident they are free. If not expect very big bills.

Ahh good idea thank you Sir Chris Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...