North East Club Unit/Garage

qwarrior

Which site sounds best?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which site sounds best?

• Chester le Street - Bunker
    • Ryton - Workshop
    • Newcastle - Converted Garage

A number of people, including myself have been talking about having somewhere to store and work on their car. I know a few people have looked in to getting garages, units etc, but what about splitting the cost on a club unit?

It might be a complete non starter, but it would give us somewhere to meet, store parts and work on cars. There'd have to be rules and everybody would have to chip in and keep the place ship shape.

Thought I'd start this thread to gauge interest?

Thoughts please?

I'm sure hodge looked into gettin himself a cheap unit before might be worth sending him a pm,

Not sure there's any such thing as a cheap unit.

I've got a unit in the pipeline ATM which I'm going to be sharing with a couple of friends. I'll let you know how I get on.

Good stuff. If you don't get sorted would you be interested in a club unit?

I pay £70pm for mine all in, its only double garage width, but more than enough space to get two cars in and work around them + workbench along the back wall. Only downside is it's out in the sticks a bit.

Try the farms in surrounding villages chaps, they're more likely to take a back hander (*ahem), and be a lot more reasonable than somewhere on say an industrial estate.

Try the farms in surrounding villages chaps, they're more likely to take a back hander (*ahem), and be a lot more reasonable than somewhere on say an industrial estate.

Problem with out in the sticks is the farm tracks on alignment and low body kits.

Making some enquiries with a few mates who know guys who may know guys who are in the commercial property game.

Have a few options so far, mostly araound newcastle on the main routes A189, A1, A19.

Looking at about £30-40 each per month (we'd need 6 or 7 interested parties) for a decent sized unit. (roughly 750-1200 sqft)

Think thats enough for 8 cars stored or 2 stored 4 worked on at any one time.

Will keep you all posted.

OK guys. I now have some options. A proper unit unless done on the fiddle is mucho expensive, but I have the following options at reasonable rates so need opinions:

This is an old military ammo storage site which has a number of bunkers. We could have a bunker roughly big enough for 4 car to be worked on at any one time. We can have access to the site 24/7 and the site is 1 mile from the nearest village so any engine noise would not p*** off the locals.

Pros: Military bunker is pretty damned secure. Security guard ion site 24/7. Approx 1/4 of flat strip for testing. 4 miles of private roads on site with a multitude of surfaces. We could kind of make the place our own and use it for meets. Cheap rent.

Cons: We may need to install a rollershutter door at our expense initially, depending on which bunkers he has free. No electricity so we'd need a generator.

Approx 750 sqft workshop, under a car sales garage. Has all mod cons, lights electricity, toilet sink etc.

Pros: No work to be done to move in.

Cons: Not so cheap rent, We might not have enough ground clearance on the ramp in, I haven't been over to check yet.

Approx 750 sqft conversion of 3 double garages end to end. Two have the doors bricked up and on still has its double door.

Pros: Cheap Rent, no contract so can take it on a month by month basis.

Cons: Area is a bit rough with no real security over and above a normal garage. Only the standard garage height so may be limited if we need an engine out.

These are the options so far but I'd suggest we have a look at them and make a decision. I'm well up for the ex military site as we could kind of make it our own but it would need some investment to make it usable. I'm still in talks with the landlord to see if he will pay for the cleanup and mods.

Opinions please

OK guys. I now have some options. A proper unit unless done on the fiddle is mucho expensive, but I have the following options at reasonable rates so need opinions:

This is an old military ammo storage site which has a number of bunkers. We could have a bunker roughly big enough for 4 car to be worked on at any one time. We can have access to the site 24/7 and the site is 1 mile from the nearest village so any engine noise would not p*** off the locals.

Pros: Military bunker is pretty damned secure. Security guard ion site 24/7. Approx 1/4 of flat strip for testing. 4 miles of private roads on site with a multitude of surfaces. We could kind of make the place our own and use it for meets. Cheap rent.

Cons: We may need to install a rollershutter door at our expense initially, depending on which bunkers he has free. No electricity so we'd need a generator.

Approx 750 sqft workshop, under a car sales garage. Has all mod cons, lights electricity, toilet sink etc.

Pros: No work to be done to move in.

Cons: Not so cheap rent, We might not have enough ground clearance on the ramp in, I haven't been over to check yet.

Approx 750 sqft conversion of 3 double garages end to end. Two have the doors bricked up and on still has its double door.

Pros: Cheap Rent, no contract so can take it on a month by month basis.

Cons: Area is a bit rough with no real security over and above a normal garage. Only the standard garage height so may be limited if we need an engine out.

These are the options so far but I'd suggest we have a look at them and make a decision. I'm well up for the ex military site as we could kind of make it our own but it would need some investment to make it usable. I'm still in talks with the landlord to see if he will pay for the cleanup and mods.

Opinions please

Drop me a pm with the details, I'll look into funding the roller door.