The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Intake for TT6

Samurai 20V

I have the Apexi as my car came with a cone filter..

I have my eye on a M's cooling plate to try to keep the warm air out..

First time I saw one of these.

Cones will be fine but you really need to seal them off from the rest of the engine. It was on my todo list but I never got round to it.

Any opinions, think it will benefit the car?

That is what I found :

1. 2.5 inch diameter twice give as much as 39% increase over 3inch diameter OEM piping !

2. Ribled piping lost is incredible compared to standard straight piping, can't remember the numbers, but big lost removed for sure

3. The Dual cone filters I used (2 filters) give 3 time more filtration area than a single Apexi "Power Intake"

4. Removing 180degree of restriction, then 120 degree and 3-4 feet of piping plus the 2 bolt restrictions are all huge restrictions

5. The T divider where the air is slitted to each turbo is a HUGE loss because of the generated turbulence when both turbo work

I wanted one on my car also but I'm going Single now so It will be a loss of money...

Just read the thread on supraforums, there are some nice dyno figures proving it ;)

I haven't read the supraforums thread but I would rather see how the stock intake is restricting things. I have no doubt the stock intake probably has been designed to control noise and have optimum filtering abilites for a standard car but I can't help but think that stick two filters on instead of one has been done to look nice and sound 'racey' rather than to cure a problem toyota didn't think about with the standard item. I know personally the first thing I would of done if I were to undertake the task of improving the stock arrangement would of been to see where it needed improving and the only way you can do that is to identify where the big pressure drops are in the stock tract.

That is what I found :

1. 2.5 inch diameter twice give as much as 39% increase over 3inch diameter OEM piping !

2. Ribled piping lost is incredible compared to standard straight piping, can't remember the numbers, but big lost removed for sure

3. The Dual cone filters I used (2 filters) give 3 time more filtration area than a single Apexi "Power Intake"

4. Removing 180degree of restriction, then 120 degree and 3-4 feet of piping plus the 2 bolt restrictions are all huge restrictions

5. The T divider where the air is slitted to each turbo is a HUGE loss because of the generated turbulence when both turbo work

I wanted one on my car also but I'm going Single now so It will be a loss of money...

Referring to the first post almost none of that makes any odds. Pretty sure the stock setup is a bit bigger than 3" also.

Yeah I suppose you could try it, I guess what I'm trying to get at is i'm not sure there is a big problem that requires fixing if you know what I mean. This restriction in the T divider has been identified by some american as a restriction, and I guess it probably is...eventually. However has he actually measured it and found when it becomes enough of a restriction to warrant removing? I'm no expert either but I just find a lot of the stuff that you see on the yank forums is tat that they come up with because they were bored one weekend and had some surplus drainpipe. Seems so back to front to make something and then spend months proving that it really is an improvement when he could of spent a few days seeing if it really needed improvement in the first place. For all i know it maybe did:)

Just looked at the dyno read out on supra forums.. I'm damn surprised!!

Just found this. Another discussion on it:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?216245-Dual-Intake-TT

Had look on the net and I can't seem to find how much they are out of curiosity

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Just looked at the dyno read out on supra forums.. I'm damn surprised!!

Just found this. Another discussion on it:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?216245-Dual-Intake-TT

Had look on the net and I can't seem to find how much they are out of curiosity

Incase you missed it on the dyno charts the 43 horsepower came from the increase in boost as the turbos where allowed to breath more freely. he did not increase the boost him self it happed when using twin intakes. i guess it would put a lot less stress on the turbos and possible spool them abit faster.

i must admit that i like the look of the first pictures, however there are some with hooses going everywhere i guess its due to removing the hardline pipes that goes ontop of the usual intakes. and the fact they are red just gives you a knock in the face. if they where black and tidy it might not be so eyecatching.

What do they do? If you just change the intake Side it doesn't have any effect on the Seq System AFAIK?

The intake has the IACV.... or the intake air control valve. Without that being there the positive pressure from the 1st turbo will just blow through the 2nd turbo and out of it's inlet. The only way to get past this is to put it into TTC.