The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a Supra that you dont want.

sammytruck

Just an observation, not a judgement

I have read lots of threads where members have bought certain cars and posted about the immediate changes that are about to take place.

And good luck to them, but why would you buy an auto and propose to convert it to a six speed manual, maybe spending a further £4-5k, or buying a na and embarking on a twin turbo upgrade at god knows what £'s that comes to.

I am sure I will get " put right " but I honestly don't understand it.

Why not get the basic model that you DO want and mod up slowly from there.

Or am I missing something? (like a brain maybe)

My Supra is everything that I was looking for, except that it was N/A and not TT so that is the change that will be done to it, eventually. The reason for buying this one is that after six years of looking for a DJG, Facelift, Aero, I seriously doubted a TT was going to turn up. Simples.

I think availability of funds will be a reason, paying 4k now to own a Supra and at later stage spend 4-5k to make it the way they want it. It may be the only way for some people to afford their dream car. Gone are the days that "if you can't afford the maintenance then don't buy the car as the value of the car had drop so low that many more can afford one with out finance, e.g. buy one on spare money if it breaks then it sit on the drive until I have the fund to fix it.

Just an observation, not a judgement

I have read lots of threads where members have bought certain cars and posted about the immediate changes that are about to take place.

And good luck to them, but why would you buy an auto and propose to convert it to a six speed manual, maybe spending a further £4-5k, or buying a na and embarking on a twin turbo upgrade at god knows what £'s that comes to.

I am sure I will get " put right " but I honestly don't understand it.

Why not get the basic model that you DO want and mod up slowly from there.

Or am I missing something? (like a brain maybe)

It's because people are impatient and money is burning a hole in their pockets. They have enough for "a Supra" but not enough for "the Supra they really want". Waiting is not an option for some, they kid themselves an engine or gearbox swap down the line will cost the same, and they get a Supra shaped car NOW. they are deluding themselves. Look me in the eye and tell me I'm wrong :)

It's because people are impatient and money is burning a hole in their pockets. They have enough for "a Supra" but not enough for "the Supra they really want". Waiting is not an option for some, they kid themselves an engine or gearbox swap down the line will cost the same, and they get a Supra shaped car NOW. they are deluding themselves. Look me in the eye and tell me I'm wrong :)

Abso-frickin'-loutely! :D

I couldn't find a TT6 with 20k on the clock :(

So I brought an NA6 :D

I personally found I car I really liked the look of, after owning a TT previously I wanted TT power again but that can be easily done with this.

Also I like the idea of doing things myself, if I didn't spend money on my car, I'd be working hard for no reason. I need a toy... and this is my toy. :)

I couldn't find a TT6 with 20k on the clock :(

So I brought an NA6 :D

I personally found I car I really liked the look of, after owning a TT previously I wanted TT power again but that can be easily done with this.

Also I like the idea of doing things myself, if I didn't spend money on my car, I'd be working hard for no reason. I need a toy... and this is my toy. :)

It is horses for courses. It took me 4 months to find an RSP TT6 that was stock. I'm so glad I waited though.

Oh, Abz, you can always send your money up here :D

I can understand taking your loved and cherished car to the next level, I do get that bit, I don't understand the buying of a car that needs an immediate £4-5k mod when there are quite a few really tidy cars out there for the same price as what's going to be spent, that's the bit I wonder about when I read these posts.

I fell under the "money burning a hole in my pocket" category. I could have held off, saved a bit more and got a car more to my liking but I just wanted a Supra. Fortunately everything I changed on my car would have been getting changed regardless of which one I had bought so I guess I got lucky in that sense of things. I doubt I would have got a car looking exactly the way mine does, regardless of how long i waited. The trouble is that getting one CLOSE to how mine looks would be much more difficult to change the bits that I wanted to on, as mine is all blended in etc so would take a lot to get right.

I wanted a Black, Facelift TT6 with reasonably low miles and that's what I got. The look and styling just wasn't what I was after. I'm reasonably happy with the road I took to get where I am but doing it all again I would do some things a little bit differently. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though :D

I think the attachment part is where people go wrong, loads of people do what Chris says, I did myself back in 2001! but I didn't spend a penny modding the first NA, didn't get overly attached to it (probably because I hadn't spent any money on it!) and so was well placed to take advantage of the TT that eventually came up at a good price. Back then there were far more passible to good/excellent Supras about and so swapping rarely meant a change to a problem car (something people again got/get overly concerned about)

I get visions of TT'ing my current NA as its a facelift aero but tbh it's unlikely to happen, far more likely i'll change cars completely.......

People grow attached to their Supra's. For the most part, they'd rather try to mod the car to however they want it as they're views change over time, rather than sell it and buy another one. I think thats where alot of these TT conversions come from, a sensible person would sell up and buy a TT, but if you love your car, you dont want to sell it, you want to drop another engine in it and make it go faster :D

It is horses for courses. It took me 4 months to find an RSP TT6 that was stock. I'm so glad I waited though.

I remember your car coming up for sale all those years ago stock with 16's (?) and had done a few miles but was good value, close to my perfect car...........my ears prick up when you mention selling it but the accountant in me doubts I could get anywhere near stomaching the asking price!

Don't get me wrong, when I was younger I did most of the things I now get on my high horse about. It's called learning life ;) As my late dad used to say, if you were born old and grew young retaining your lifetme's experiences you'd be ruddy dangerous ;) I still do daft things, like buying bargain Ebay kitchen units to cupboard out my office without checking if his "mate" really did buy the matching doors from Moben's bankruptcy sale, or just some vaguely similar things in a totally different shade ;) Money, "bargain", pocket, hole....

I remember your car coming up for sale all those years ago stock with 16's (?) and had done a few miles but was good value, close to my perfect car...........my ears prick up when you mention selling it but the accountant in me doubts I could get anywhere near stomaching the asking price!

That's right, milleage corrected, it had just over 110k on it. However, the same engine is still pulling hard with the Big Twins :) New, forged engine going in this month. More info on my thread when it's time!