The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU or just standard ?

thedirtycat

I'm thinking of getting a supra soon. Last year I looked at insurance and most companies wouldn't insure me and the quotes I did get were just insane. Now I'm 25 I think I can get a decent price and it seemed BPU isn't really much more to insure.

I'm still living with my mum and I'm going to try and cycle to work most days as it would probably cost quite a lot driving it to work and back every day.

I've heard that BPU is a lot better than a standard tt and it still cost quite a bit to upgrade and it seems it is a lot cheaper to just buy when thats already had the upgrades done.

I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying even then tt isn't really fast because its such a heavy car although I think its still going to seem very fast compared to my 110hp tdi golf.

Is there any reason to just get a standard tt and spend the money and upgrade it later on ?

Also anyone around the hereford area fancy giving me a ride in there supra at some point ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neo9918

It depends what you want mate, it would be cheaper to buy one with the upgrades already done. However if you get a stock tt and do it yourself you know exactly what parts are used etc. I chose to start with a stock tt and did all the bpu mods myself, that way i know exactly what has been done to the car.

Secondly what car does this bloke you were talking to drive? Because a bpu tt seems pretty quick to me!

It depends what you want mate, it would be cheaper to buy one with the upgrades already done. However if you get a stock tt and do it yourself you know exactly what parts are used etc. I chose to start with a stock tt and did all the bpu mods myself, that way i know exactly what has been done to the car.

Secondly what car does this bloke you were talking to drive? Because a bpu tt seems pretty quick to me!

I forget what he drives but I think its something pretty quick. I think he was just talking about the standard tt though.

Yeah I was thinking its good to know whats been done to it and the one thing that did worry me is that I didn't think people ever upgraded the injectors when they go bpu and on a jspec doesn't that mean they are pretty much maxed out ?

I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying even then tt isn't really fast because its such a heavy car

Really? Has he ever been in or driven a bpu supra?

I would say start off stock, see how you get on and if you want more power bpu it. You could be quite happy with it just being stock. Personally I had mine about a month before I bpu'd it and it was my first car, but I've been around them for years and got use to the power.

Really? Has he ever been in or driven a bpu supra?

I would say start off stock, see how you get on and if you want more power bpu it. You could be quite happy with it just being stock. Personally I had mine about a month before I bpu'd it and it was my first car, but I've been around them for years and got use to the power.

I think maybe he hadn't been in one and was just saying what he had heard about them.

Doesn't it cost about £1000 to do all the BPU upgrades ?

I guess if I could get a standard one cheap in good condition and then go BPU it would still not be too expensive.

I've been in one other car with about the same power(audi s4)and it felt kind of quick but I would get bored quite quickly but I think thats because it was a paddle shift and supercharged. It just had a very boring power delivery I think.

I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying even then tt isn't really fast because its such a heavy car

:blink: even a stock TT has a good power level, i had mine stock for around 2 months then went bpu, was the best thing ive done and it goes when it wants to! is your only experince with cars just a gold Tdi?

p.s if you want a decent BPU car mine is for sale ;) lol shameless plus :D

Theres no law saying you have to BPU your car, you can leave it standard and its still pretty quick. As for costing a lot, not really. Youre getting say 100hp for less than a grand, good power to cash ratio.

The injectors are fine, no need to upgrade for BPU power.

I guess I just thought that so many people seem to go for BPU and say it transforms the car that it might be worth just going for a BPU if its that much better but I can imagine a standard tt is pretty good.

:blink: even a stock TT has a good power level, i had mine stock for around 2 months then went bpu, was the best thing ive done and it goes when it wants to! is your only experince with cars just a gold Tdi?

p.s if you want a decent BPU car mine is for sale ;) lol shameless plus :D

I've had my golf for about a year now and before that I had an old peugeot that was very slow. The golf was quite a bit step up but I've always wanted a supra and the golf does still feel a bit slow at times.

I think maybe he hadn't been in one and was just saying what he had heard about them.

Doesn't it cost about £1000 to do all the BPU upgrades ?

I guess if I could get a standard one cheap in good condition and then go BPU it would still not be too expensive.

I've been in one other car with about the same power(audi s4)and it felt kind of quick but I would get bored quite quickly but I think thats because it was a paddle shift and supercharged. It just had a very boring power delivery I think.

Well it all depends if you buy new, you can pick up bpu parts from members on here that can save you some money. Why do you think you need to bpu straight away or at all?

I got my TT and it was stock (well, almost) and now I'm running 0.9bar and I'm used to the power (still makes passengers scream though :D). Got a boost controller to fit and then we're at 1.2bar. Can't wait!

I went from a 1.9TDi Golf to the Supra and it seemed ridiculously fast to start with!

I've had my golf for about a year now and before that I had an old peugeot that was very slow. The golf was quite a bit step up but I've always wanted a supra and the golf does still feel a bit slow at times.

Going by your last 2 cars, have you thought about starting off with an NA supra to get used to the RWD and then work up from there?

I got my TT and it was stock (well, almost) and now I'm running 0.9bar and I'm used to the power (still makes passengers scream though :D). Got a boost controller to fit and then we're at 1.2bar. Can't wait!

I went from a 1.9TDi Golf to the Supra and it seemed ridiculously fast to start with!

Ok maybe it does sound like standard will be fine to start with although it seems like its hard to find standard ones.

I guess I just don't want to miss out on something a lot quicker because I might be moving out soonish and never get a chance to own a supra again.. then again I might if I can find a better job. Sounds like standard tt might be best for me then.

Going by your last 2 cars, have you thought about starting off with an NA supra to get used to the RWD and then work up from there?

This might be my only chance for a while to have a supra so I feel like I just want to go straight for a tt. I know if I have an NA I will just keep thinking I wish I had a tt haha

Ok maybe it does sound like standard will be fine to start with although it seems like its hard to find standard ones.

I guess I just don't want to miss out on something a lot quicker because I might be moving out soonish and never get a chance to own a supra again.. then again I might if I can find a better job. Sounds like standard tt might be best for me then.

If you want cheap BPU, then buy a standard-ish Supra then decat it (only £200 or so do) then add a restrictor ring to keep it below 1 bar (so you don't hit fuel cut) and there you go, about 350bhp (mine's 356bhp at 0.9bar) for not much money :)

This might be my only chance for a while to have a supra so I feel like I just want to go straight for a tt. I know if I have an NA I will just keep thinking I wish I had a tt haha

I started off with an NA then sld up and bought a TT. You can do the TT conversion for about £2K - £2.5K anyway, so can always still get your TT power if you wanted it further down the line after you got used to it.

Well the guy must be driving an FQ evo or similar to think that TT is slow. Orginal figures put 0-60 at 4.6, so in the real world with some ponies missing I bet you could still get close to 5 seconds which even in todays standards is fast. Go BPU and I bet with a good tyre and suspension setup you could embaress alot of high end cars in the traffic light grand prix.

Well the guy must be driving an FQ evo or similar to think that TT is slow. Orginal figures put 0-60 at 4.6, so in the real world with some ponies missing I bet you could still get close to 5 seconds which even in todays standards is fast. Go BPU and I bet with a good tyre and suspension setup you could embaress alot of high end cars in the traffic light grand prix.

Just asked him and he said he drives a 200sx 1.8 turbo with about 400hp

I've had stock, BPU and single turbo Supras. The step change between stock and BPU is simply huge and I don't know of any other car capable of more BHP per Pound.

It feels like you've been rear-ended by an express train when you put your foot down. You'll be surprised how quick it is.