The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to stop rear end stepping out?

Chucky_waR

How does one stop the rear end stepping out when accelerating? For example if I'm in third and I put the hammer the back end twitches to the right. I have the boost down to 1.3 bar and can't accelerate in 2nd and need to be careful in third gear or I loose rear.

Now my question is for you big single turbo boys and girls. How do you accelerate without loosing the rear end but still manage to get the power down? And is normal for the supra to always kick to the right?

I want to drive her properly but needs some advise.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let go and get the tyre size....

I have not taken her yet for a geo setup but was told by Phil Boase when I bought her that it was done. She has HKS adjustable coilovers but has been adjusted since I bought her in september.. I'm going to pop outside and check the tyre size.. Back in a sec..

Phil Boase also told you it had a built motor, to be fair even a stock TT will step out in this temp, the tyres will never reach their operating temp as the road itself is too cold, this is why winter tyres work better they are designed to be used under 8 degrees, even a sportsbike will have more grip on a touring tyre than the latest chewing gum compound sports tyre because they are designed to work at slower speeds and colder temp. Even the best rubber is useless with all the salt and grit spread at the moment so just take it easy and wait a couple of months or get some driving lessons from JP, he deals with this on a daily basis. Or fit a syvecs with TC.

IMO unless you run a decent TC you need to accept the fact it will step out and learn to drive around it, the real prob is when it does it for no reason like over disel etc , I know that when I floor pretty much any single car in 2nd its not goinf to be pointing dead straight so allow for it.

Hi dude.. This even happened on day one back in September. I took it easy yesterday as the motor has just been rebuild and the roads were very slippery but now that I have her back I want to learn to control her better.

Tyres also deterorate with age Pete, they go 'off' get hard etc, maybe do the 30-130 day where you can learn the car better, unless the road cambers a lot they are pretty controlable as they have a long wheelbase, just blag a go with JP if you need to learn how to control one.

Hi dude.. This even happened on day one back in September. I took it easy yesterday as the motor has just been rebuild and the roads were very slippery but now that I have her back I want to learn to control her better.

See if you can book an airfield day to have a go at controlling different conditions in a safe environment.

Probably a really daft question but what would you guys say is the right tyre pressure?

I just tend to go with 34 all round but never really given it too much thought until I read this.

Stock UK is 36 front and rear.

I keep mine around 34-36, i try to keep them exactly the same from side to side.

With my car being a weekend toy i check them everytime i use it.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)