The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on using a bung... Help needed

Abz

Yep, you read that right... your eye sight is not going... yet.

Though you may have thought it wrong in your head.

Because I am referring to the bung which you put into the rear of the exhaust to stop your ears from bleeding whilst chugging down the motorway.

I have an RSR exhaust and it is awfully loud when engine is cold and when on the motorway (something to do with it being an NA could also be thrown in the equation). So I tend to put my bung in, I have 2 problems though, hopefully you guys and girls (Graham), could provide some feedback to assist.

1. I have a nightmare trying to fit the bung into the exhaust it is such a perfect fit it takes quite a struggle to get it right so then holes are lined up so then I can put the screw and nut in to secure it. I tried using appliers to put it out but it seems you need to give it a bit of a lift to edge it out, also if you push in too hard it slots in further than the hole so you spend ages putting it in and out to line it up. Any of you guys use any tricks?

I have cleaned the bung which seems to have helped smooth it, I have thought of maybe using a string to guide it? (If that makes sense).

2. This is the 2nd time whilst driving the nut has come loose and fallen off, I lost the original ones so just brought another nut and screw. Is their some sort of vibration stopper nut I need to buy?

I'd be grateful for any non sexual replies :)

Abz

One more expensive alternative is to get an exhaust shop to weld a resonator/hot dog/box (use whichever term you prefer) in the midpipe region. I wasn't keen on the tailpipe silencer as it would create too much backpressure - but as yours isn't turbo yet, it might not make a significant impact on engine performance.

Hi Abs, mine has a spot welded nut on the inside of the bung, but I also use a good spring washer, this stops the bolt from working loose, as for lining it up, I have filed a nice shiney spot around where the hole is (on the bung) and I seem to have no problem seeing this as I near the hole (in the exhaust), yours does sound like it's too tight a fit, it should be a good fit but not that tight. Have you checked the roundness of it? if its slightly oval it won't fit well, other then that, a real good sanding may work.

I have just reread that, and its all wrong in all sorts of ways.

I've got one of those bungs. I had one with the RSR but I never used it to be honest. Going single and having a 4" drainpipe will probably change things at 5am so I am going to weld a piece of stub steel across the inner diameter of the bung.

It might not look great (although I'll try to make it look the part) but it will certainly make putting in and removing the bung a doddle.

Came with the car, so no idea..

Why do you ask?

The RSR one was a pig to get out although straight forward enough to get in. Just wondering if it was age related as the RSR was a good few months old when I got it.

There was nothing to grip when pulling it out, the fit was fantastic though.

The RSR one was a pig to get out although straight forward enough to get in. Just wondering if it was age related as the RSR was a good few months old when I got it.

There was nothing to grip when pulling it out, the fit was fantastic though.

It was a bit difficult to take out, but nothing that will have you tearing your hair out..

Putting it on was a 10 sec job, other than installing the nut and bolt..