The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What tyres were recomended for the Supra from new and couple of other questions?

Blackie

The factory tyres are likely to be close to the best available for that particular car ;)

Surely it's which of the reputable tyre companies gives them the best price per tyre?

I imagine an order for a newly launched cars tyres would be worth a bob or two?

Apparently VW and Mercedes are now using Khumos on certain models. (My tyre guy told me this and he could be FOS for all I know?)

H.

Surely it's which of the reputable tyre companies gives them the best price per tyre?

I imagine an order for a newly launched cars tyres would be worth a bob or two?

Apparently VW and Mercedes are now using Khumos on certain models. (My tyre guy told me this and he could be FOS for all I know?)

H.

I would agree with you unless it is stated that the tyre was developed specifically for that car.

They would recomend whoever gave them the best cost

That's not the case at all, manufacturers of cars and tyres work closely to develop a package that has the best all round compromise available, you won't find many expensive cars 9and the MKIV WAS expansive when new) where the car maker buys the tyres on the sole basis of cost. For example the MKIV suffers with tyre noise due to the rear suspensions lack of compliance to give good handling traits. They will have worked with tyre makers to minimize this whilst retaining good performance characteristics. The MK2 MR2 has a bad name for iffy handling, but 99% of people forget that Toyota had a specific tyre for this model, that took into account its mid engine configuration with relatively very light front axle loadings. When 2nd and 3rd owners fitted different rubber the last thing they considered as they went backwards into a ditch, or tramlined all over the road was it was because they'd bought unsuitable tyres. You can make pretty much any decent car into a total dog just by inappropriate tyre purchases.

What's one of the first things you start with when designing a car? With a tyre and wheel size package to suit predicted kerb weight, performance goals and ride / NVH compromises.

Chris is right..

I work in vehicle product/design planning for Toyota, they definitely put many a year into tyre design.. Of course cost is a big factor, but in cars like the Supra or LF-A they would be specially designed for the vehicle characteristics..

I hear for the R35 GTR only Nissan stock the tyres specced for the car..

In more run of mill cars, Corolla's etc the tyre companies would most likely have an off the shelf tyre to meet the requirements for the car..

That's not the case at all, manufacturers of cars and tyres work closely to develop a package that has the best all round compromise available, you won't find many expensive cars 9and the MKIV WAS expansive when new) where the car maker buys the tyres on the sole basis of cost. For example the MKIV suffers with tyre noise due to the rear suspensions lack of compliance to give good handling traits. They will have worked with tyre makers to minimize this whilst retaining good performance characteristics. The MK2 MR2 has a bad name for iffy handling, but 99% of people forget that Toyota had a specific tyre for this model, that took into account its mid engine configuration with relatively very light front axle loadings. When 2nd and 3rd owners fitted different rubber the last thing they considered as they went backwards into a ditch, or tramlined all over the road was it was because they'd bought unsuitable tyres. You can make pretty much any decent car into a total dog just by inappropriate tyre purchases.

What's one of the first things you start with when designing a car? With a tyre and wheel size package to suit predicted kerb weight, performance goals and ride / NVH compromises.

I love you CW..!!

My original point was that they would get the best cost from the manufactures who complied with their needs. They just would shove on some Nankangs to save money. In my game it's always a shoot out between the top end manufacturers.

H.

As above really. On the dc2 forum there are still those that see the originally fitted Bridgestone RE0-10 as the best tyre for the car purely because that's what the car was designed around.

Of course, most (like myself) just aim for a tyre with similar characteristics, especially as the Bridgestone is no longer available.

I would use the tyres specific for the car but when a dif wheel is fitted say 295/30/19 which tyre would be better suited ?

A bigger Bridgestone? Trouble is with different wheels sizes you/we are throwing out everything that Toyota designed, They put the 16"/17" wheels on to work with the suspention and handleing perfectly