The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The AA to launch sat-nav tech tracked insurance policy

AndrewOW

Do you think this is a good idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16969509

I quite like the sound of it, but sometimes when you want to 'give it some beans' or some spirited driving, would it hold you back?

What else could 'they' use the information for?

If your car's stolen, then at least it can be tracked.

Used in a cynical free manner this could be great for lower premiums, but I for one don't trust 'them' enough.

It'll only take off if there's mass-acceptance.

I for one, wouldn't have it. Not because I drive like a loon all the time, but because I don't want Big Brother knowing every minute detail about me - down to journey times and routes. How long before that's used to distribute directed advertising?

Just like you should!! I wouldn't have one either as if you accidentally strayed over the speed limit would they notify the police?

I like the idea of a 'pay as you go' insurance policy. If you're careful, and sensible, your premium is nice and low, but if you're a speedster, then how far would they take the information I wonder?!

This has been out for years, or has it been revamped somehow?

When I was 24 I bought an Evo V, it was a NIGHTMARE trying to get insurance with. I phoned various places and one place came back with a quote of just over £900 when everyone else was around 2k. I gave them a call and it turned out I had to pay for a GPS tracker to be fitted to the car (£400) so that in the event of it being stolen it could be easily and quickly found. The other clause attached to it was with regards to speeding. If I was seen to be over the speed limit by anymore than 10% anymore than 3 times during the policy the insurance would be cancelled and I would recieve no refund.

Needless to say by the end of that day I was 2k down :D

I like the idea but it would have to be run by normal people, so my usual driving is pretty careful and slow, but occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) I'll floor it on a sliproad or something - I don't do any racing any more but do blast the car every now and then, I would hope as it was only for a few seconds it would be ignored, and it wouldn't just be computed as "Breaks the speed limit by 20%, >100 times a year" or something silly, making me look like a mong.

I like the idea of creating a blocking device to sell on Ebay.... Off to "The Lab". :)

GPS Jammer? Plenty of them on Ebay already I'm afraid. I was lookin at getting one for my trackered company car as they allow me to use it for personal use and then insist on asking questions regarding my whereabouts over the weekend.